Whats caps to change in the S.E.X

murphythecat · 5106

Offline murphythecat

on: August 08, 2011, 09:30:54 AM
Hi

I want to upgrade a couple of components in the S.E.X. which one would you upgrade first?

1-The output caps
2-the polystyrene red caps f104k with 1.0 uf caps? Can anyone confirm on this one im not sure. The output caps is this caps right?

BTW I have some o.47 uf russian teflon ft-3 caps. Can I use those anywhere in the S.E.X like replacing the stock 1.0 uf caps

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 10:05:17 AM by murphythecat »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 10:08:32 AM
The output caps need to be 600V so the 0.47 (I am guessing they are the 200V) won't do there.  I have never seen a 0.47uF that was 600V.

So in order of importance, replace the output (1uF 600V) and interstage (0.1uF 600V) caps.  Then bypass the power supply caps, the 47uF450V and 22uF 450V with a nice polypropylene film cap.  A 1uF or 0.1uF should be good.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 02:21:46 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline corndog71

Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 10:11:40 AM
I replaced the 0.1uF poly caps with a pair of 0.47uf V-Caps I had on hand.  Some people said it wouldn't make much difference but the V-Caps took the amp to a whole new level of clarity and detail!

I also swapped the 1uf Solen caps for 1uF Clarity Cap ESA which also was an improvement.

I think they need to be rated at least 600V.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline murphythecat

Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 05:50:16 PM
The output caps need to be 600V so the 0.47 (I am guessing they are the 200V) won't do there.  I have never seen a 0.47uF that was 600V.

So in order of importance, replace the output (1uF 600V) and interstage (0.1uF 600V) caps.  Then bypass the power supply caps, the 47uF450V and 22uF 450V with a nice polypropylene film cap.  A 1uF or 0.1uF should be good.
Hi. thanks.

I want to try mundorf silver in oi. So I need  2 x 1uf 1200v?? http://www.soniccraft.com/mundorf_silver_oil.htm

I heard its worth it that much so I want to see that. Pricey but worth it supposedly.
Will the 1200v be to much voltage and should look for 600v?

and I need 1  0.1uf caps for bypassing the powersupply?  http://www.soniccraft.com/mundorf_silver_oil.htm
What do you think?

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 06:13:06 PM by murphythecat »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 11:43:03 PM
Right, for the 0.1uF interstage and 1.0uF you need 2 of each value.  Using a 1200V rated cap harms nothing but your wallet, and they will be physically big! 

As for the power supply bypass something more like the more Solen PP film are more appropriate.  There is nothing to be gained from using Mundorf silver oil in this application.  Here is a link:

http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_film_solen_p_series.html

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 08:21:45 AM
I think you will really enjoy the Mundorf SIO caps.  I used these in my Stereomour based on the recommendations and have been very happy to have done so.  Make sure you delay final consideration until after 200 hours of play.   

So it sounds like you need six caps total (four Mundorf and two Solen).  Have fun!!!

John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline murphythecat

Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 09:37:45 AM
oh! Please I need confirmation here

I need two 0.1 uf and two 1.0 uf  of good quality?

And two 0.1uf of solens quality?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 09:52:28 AM
Ok, first, yes you need two each of the Mundorf SIO caps in 0.1uF and 1.0uF.  The same Edit, you need four of the 0.1uF Solen caps.  The link I gave will get you to the right version of Solen caps.

.  .  .   Make sure you delay final consideration until after 200 hours of play.  .  .  .    

This is true but it can be less painful if you follow my "patented" break in method:

Fast Break In Post
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 02:57:27 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline murphythecat

Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 11:38:27 AM
okay thanks.

I need to know if the Interstage caps are like the output caps where its worth it to put a good quality 0.1uf for the interstage place?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 12:35:22 PM
Both the interstage and output caps are directly in series with the audio signal.  That makes them critical to the sound of your amp.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 03:55:06 PM
Actually,Actually, if you have the original s.e.x. kit, then you'll need 4 of the solen-type .1s -- it's a dual mono supply and there are two of the 450 v electrolytics on each side.

I don't know the particulars of the new kit, but supposedly it's a very different power supply so I'm not sure if the same applies.  Also, the 1000 uF cathode bypass can be doubled to 2200 uF if you have a high quality cap such as a cerafine, black gate, or elna silmic II to put in there.  Check out Daoc's thread a few pages back on some improvements he made to his persnal s.e.x. amp

Good luck,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 06:28:29 PM
Actually,Actually, if you have the original s.e.x. kit, then you'll need 4 of the solen-type .1s -- it's a dual mono supply and there are two of the 450 v electrolytics on each side.

I don't know the particulars of the new kit, but supposedly it's a very different power supply so I'm not sure if the same applies.  Also, the 1000 uF cathode bypass can be doubled to 2200 uF if you have a high quality cap such as a cerafine, black gate, or elna silmic II to put in there.  Check out Daoc's thread a few pages back on some improvements he made to his persnal s.e.x. amp

Good luck,

Jim

I'm just asking Jim: wouldn't you only bypass the last cap in the power supply on each side rather than each power cap?  You are only affecting the transients on that last cap if I recall correctly....comments?

John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 07:27:47 AM
Hi John,

My reasoning is that it is a split rail power supply, which I kind of (understandably not fully accurate) think of as a stacked power supply, so each cap is the last one in the supply to the correspondig tube (in the sngle envelope).

At least that's how I remember things when I traced out the wiring from the written innstructions -- though it has been a while so again, not entirely sure if this wholly accurate as I can't see the actual schematic.

HTH,

Jim

P.S. -- PJ or
Doc, feel free to edubicate me if this is just a wholly wrong set of assumptions.

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 09:51:48 AM
Since Murphythecat already has his SEX amp I figure it is the older design.  I think what I said about the power supply caps in "reply #1" is right for the driver and output stage supplies.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 11:13:41 AM
In the old version there are two power supplies, each of about +366 and -17 volts. The ground is common, but the + and - voltages are separate. You can bypass the whole supply (the 47uF/450v cap goes from +366 to -17, with no connection to ground). But I expect it would be better to bypass the +366 to ground rather than to the -17v point; this bypasses the output stage

There is a second stage of each power supply, +350v which goes to the driver. This is across the 22uF/450v capacitor, which does go to ground and can be bypassed.

The -17v supplies (this is the bias resistor and 1000uF cap) can also be bypassed.

The new version is much simpler!

Paul Joppa