Which ouput transformers

murphythecat · 2301

Offline murphythecat

on: August 12, 2011, 06:37:58 AM
hi everyone. Im in the process of modding my SEX. I have already command the caps and now Im wondering which ouput transformers to get for the sex.

What are my options in the under 100$

Thanks

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 07:29:19 AM
Under $100?  Nothing I know of, unless BH decides to sell the new s.e.x. OPTs for that.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 09:49:29 AM
MQ upgrade iron for the SEX starts at $300.  Good iron costs, so if you want to upgrade it there will be a price.  But... upgrade iron is a great idea.

Here is the MQ product page:

http://www.magnequest.com/products.htm

Offline denti alligator

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 10:01:06 AM
Doc also recently mentioned that Bottlehead will start offering an upgrade of the stock transformer on the original S.E.X. with the one used ion the new S.E.X. and Stereomour. I suspect this will be significantly cheaper than the non-nickel MQ, maybe even under or around $100.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 11:31:08 AM
... I suspect this will be significantly cheaper than the non-nickel MQ, maybe even under or around $100.
Not a chance, sorry. It may or may not be a bit cheaper, depending on things like whether it's just the parts or a full kit with manual, mounting screws, wire, and possibly the impedance switch PC board. I don't have the latest numbers, but I don't see how it could be less than $200, and it might well be the same as the MQ parts.

Paul Joppa

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 11:33:45 AM
PJ is right. I don't have a price worked out yet but there will be a fair number of other parts included along with the transformers and the upgrade will be more than $100.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 11:37:33 AM
Oh well, I guess I was being too hopeful. I was figuring the price difference between the old and new S.E.X. kit.

I'm still wondering how the new transformers will compare with what MQ offers...

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable