solder flux

Guest · 6054

4krow

on: March 18, 2012, 05:12:52 PM
Do many of you here use solder flux, and if so, do you recommend it only for desoldering?

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 06:04:15 PM
Greg, I use liquid flux mostly on my desoldering wick, but I will use it when soldering some components on PCBs. Heatsinks and other large components that need a little help geting the solder to flow. I try not to over use it, because you do have to clean up well after use.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 11:49:54 PM
98% of today's solders include flux in it.  I have used many solders and the only time I used flux was getting my Plumbing merit badge in Scouts sometime in the early 60s.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 02:17:20 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline HF9

• Zynsonix.com
    • Zynsonix.com
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 06:09:44 AM
I've only had to use it when soldering SMD chips, putting down a little bit before soldering quickens the flow and makes things a lot easier.

My DIY Audio Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com

4krow

Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 07:23:00 AM
HF9,  That is exactly what I am doing. Of course, I have learned the hard way first, and it gets ugly unless you can make that solder jump off quick. I have been using a desoldering pen with varying results. And I notice that some solder wick is better than others. Finally, keeping a clean tip and and little solder on it helps. I did buy an unusual product from RS. It is a tip cleaner/tinning combined into one. Seems to be 'tinning' set in a waxy hard paste. So far I have to say that I like it very much. I am doing everything I can to get some old ic's out of a circuit without too many casualties.

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 04:58:37 PM
Greg, the tip tinner/cleaners do work well, but be aware that repeated use will shorten the life of your tips.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 04:43:43 AM
Yeah I think that RS one probably has sal ammoniac in it. It does indeed begin to eat the tip after a while.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 05:44:45 AM
Greg - all good advice, I would just add that the 60/40 is the way to go. I learned the hard way to stay away from the silver bearing stuff.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

4krow

Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 01:09:04 PM
Man, this all helps. I just ordered some 'Wonder Solder'. Not much, just 20'. I will heed your advice about the RS cleaner, and the silver solder. If something seems to good to be true...

Offline mchurch

Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 03:01:07 PM
I use paste flux when tinning stranded wires so that I can then bend them into a good mechanical fit before the final solder. I little on the wire goes a long way and usually burns off all residue. Its also very useful when soldering wire into the centre pins of RCA connectors. It really lets the solder get drawn into the pin with the wire for a good electrical connection. The best solder I have is a left over supply of Kester SN63. It flows good and fast. Unfortunately it is Lead bearing as well so no longer easy to find but heck I have around 50Lbs I bought back in the day.

Silver bearing solder is good for strong bonds but my experience says it uses too much heat to flow and is not the best for sensitive components. With SN63 I have never cooked a component yet. (Touch wood)

Cheers;

Mike

4krow

Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 11:08:34 AM
Mike,  I guess I have no choice but to get some good flux. I am trying to desolder some components from a delicate circuit board, and the solder just needs a little help to flow properly. I am glad that there is good information here. BTW, 'Wonder solder with it's microtechnology dramatically changes the sound of your stereo, and your feelings too.' Get some now  he he

Offline mchurch

Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 02:17:06 PM
Sorry I can't resist this but; Is it the wonder solder that improves the sound or is it because the user inhales the fumes!!!!

Offline grufti

Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 03:05:45 PM

Offline mchurch

Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 05:32:28 PM
Grufti;

That's what I like about the BH guys, you get al sorts of valuable information and leads on products and suppliers. I like their dispenser method and the fact that it is "no clean", I'll be ordering some to try out.

Cheers

Mike

Offline grufti

Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 06:37:47 PM
Look at the other ChipQuik product at Jameco as well. They have a few that work well for SMD rework. Just search for ChipQuik ... and as usual the commercial disclaimer: I have no interest whatsoever in ChipQuik or Jameco, no investment, no kick backs, nothing.