Capacitor mounting brackets?

adamct · 2486

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
on: August 19, 2013, 08:49:20 AM
I need to mount a number of large capacitors on the back of my Crack. The usual capacitor mounting brackets, like this, are really meant for top-mounting caps. If I used these on the back of my Crack, the caps would stick out horizontally and I imagine the whole thing would be fairly unstable.

I remember that a while ago, somebody posted a link to capacitor brackets that looked like this. These would be perfect for my purposes, but apparently the brackets I linked to are crappy and crack if you look at them sideways. I may just poke around my local hardware store to see what I can find, but I figured I would ask first if anyone knows a good source for brackets like these that are good quality and don't cost a fortune. After all, I can always just mount the caps using a couple of cable/zip ties if necessary (after drilling holes in the back of the wooden case).

Any other suggestions for creative cap mounting would be welcome. I've got 4 large caps I need to mount on the Crack, so I have to get creative... Note that I cannot mount the caps on the underside, since I already have two giant film caps taking up all available space under there (the existing film caps underneath are the coupling caps, whereas the caps I'm installing now are to replace the caps in the power supply).

Best regards,
Adam

P.S. Just to confirm: it's not a problem if the leads to the caps wind up being 6-10" long, is it?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 08:52:30 AM by adamct »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 09:30:04 AM
I would use those mounting studs. Get a piece of thin aluminum that is 5" wide, mount all the caps to that, then screw that into the wood base with some spacer blocks.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 09:42:37 AM
Thanks, PB. That should work for the caps that have the studs, but the motor run oiler caps don't have such studs. I could still mount them onto the sheet of aluminum with some hot glue or double-sided tape, however. I might need to wait until the caps with studs arrive, and then see how much space I have. I suspect that the four caps, even if lined up right next to eachother, are probably wider than the Crack base anyway...

The most aesthetically pleasing option would be to try and mount the motor run oilers upside down on top of the Crack, on either side of the 6080 socket (and only mount the 200uf film caps with the studs on the back), but that might be more work than I want to put into this...

I'll ponder it some more.

Best,
Adam