Cap upgrade question

Croaker · 1416

Offline Croaker

on: May 16, 2014, 07:38:29 AM
Hey guys, I just installed some new caps on my stereomour. I was wondering if I got the polaritys right. The mundorfs don't seem to have the polarity labeled. A you can see I put the left channel caps with the script facing normal direction, and on the right channel I put them backwards. Is this correct?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 07:47:56 AM
Neither the Mundorf nor the Obbligato caps have a polarity.  If you had wired up a polarized cap backward it would have exploded.

However, there is a slight difference in noise rejection when a film cap, like yours, is wired such that the outer wrap lead is closer to, or attached to ground.

I'm sure this is what you are posting about.

But it is not a large difference, not even a small one.  It is a tiny difference that is only seen in a noisy environment.

I'm saying that if you don't hear noises, don't worry about it.  I haven't ever heard a difference.

Offline Croaker

Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 07:53:57 AM
The sound is better, but there is a new buzz I'm noticing.  Which side of the Mundorf is the outer wrap, the Obbligato has a little + sign on it, is the plus side the outer wrapping?

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 09:16:31 AM
Which mundorf series did you get?

Usually for the film caps the longer lead is the outer foil and should be connected to the point of lowest resistance.

BTW, mondorf does make electrolytics and quite a few of them including some new ones with blackgate type construction and performance, as well as some 4 pole caps.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)