Computer CD reader capabilities

butchbass · 3632

Offline butchbass

on: December 22, 2013, 11:14:30 AM
Will the CD reader in a computer read an SACD? Also if the CD is a hybrid SACD will it read it as SACD?

Butch Gross
Stereomour II/  Blumenstein Orcas, Dungenes/Schiit Bifrost Multibit/Amarra

Offline John Swenson

Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 02:35:37 PM
No. When Sony developed the SACD they went to GREAT lengths to copy protect it to try and make sure that nobody could rip an SACD onto their computer.

At one point there was a version of the playstationIII that had a bug that allowed you to rip an SACD, but it has been fixed in later versions. The original version that CAN rip an SACD goes for a lot of money on ebay.

I think there are some recent solutions to this but I am not up on the details, others might be able to help with that.

John S.

John Swenson
DAC designer
Well Tempered Record player -> Seduction
Moded Squeezebox->DIY DAC
BDT preamp->813 monster SE amp
DIY "Bazooka" Lowther speakers

Offline physicsmajor

Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 03:42:22 PM
No. When Sony developed the SACD they went to GREAT lengths to copy protect it to try and make sure that nobody could rip an SACD onto their computer.

At one point there was a version of the playstationIII that had a bug that allowed you to rip an SACD, but it has been fixed in later versions. The original version that CAN rip an SACD goes for a lot of money on ebay.

I think there are some recent solutions to this but I am not up on the details, others might be able to help with that.

John S.

One notable exception: A number of SACD discs are hybrid SACDs (this is marked on the packaging). These have a SACD layer, which cannot be read, but they also have a Redbook CD layer which can be easily ripped onto any computer or read using standard CD transports. I've personally done this without any problems.

Of course, this isn't really archiving the SACD. But if that particular album was only released on hybrid SACD, this is the way to get the best possible electronic copy.

Offline butchbass

Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 04:21:09 PM
Excellent info. Thanks for the feedback.

Butch Gross
Stereomour II/  Blumenstein Orcas, Dungenes/Schiit Bifrost Multibit/Amarra

Offline madbrayniak

Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 05:59:48 AM
I was looking into this a few weeks ago and unfortunately there are absolutely no readers available. It's rather sad actually. THe only comfort I have is that SACD is largely a failed format already and I think a large reason for that is because Sony had such a heavy DRM on the format.

I think they would have actually been more succesful if they would have allowed burning/ripping of the format.

However, you may find it comforting to know that more and more high resolution digital formats are becoming more available for digital download.