Cheapest, smallest PC-based system

denti alligator · 8930

Offline denti alligator

on: November 19, 2011, 05:42:38 AM
I'm looking to move my music console downstairs, but I want to keep the HTPC I have upstairs for downloading, etc.

So I'm looking for the cheapest and smallest PC-based system that I can install my Juli@ sound card in. I would ONLY use this computer to play music, so it would have to have the power to play 24/192 without problems, but otherwise wouldn't need anything fancy.

I was thinking of just getting a used tower and installing the Juli@. Not sure if that's smart. Plus, it would be nice to have is horizontally oriented and even smaller, if possible. Not sure what the best route would be. Eventually, this would be hooked up to the Bottlehead DAC and into my system.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 06:55:59 AM
Have fun with your computer build.  Not sure if you are a Windows, Mac, or Linux guy (assume Windows).  However, when people say "cheapest PC" I always think of Linux...but that's only if you are a tweaker who enjoys setting up a computer and doesn't mind the code part (no matter what they say, every Linux build at home involves some level of troubleshooting).  But you can put a good Linux computer together for less, all other things being equal (which they rarely are).  From a quick Juli@ search:

Juli@ also provides 24-bit/192kHz coaxial digital I/O and a 24-bit/96 kHz optical output, 16 channel MIDI I/O and an E-WDM driver with DirectWIRE 3.0 functionality. The Juli@ is compatible with Mac (OSX 10.1 and higher) and Windows (98, 2000, XP, Vista, and Windows 7). It's also compliant with the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA), so Linux users can get in on the fun too.

To be clear, I'm not advising you to go this route, just starting the conversation regarding Linux.  When I made my similar choice, I found the previous generation (late 2009) Mac Mini to be more cost effective on the used market already set up for audio that just about any other system (I found somebody ditching their "old" system and looking to off-set some of their upgrade costs).  I think I spent $400 for a Mac Mini with an SSD drive and extra RAM already installed.  In your case, you are needing a case to add your card to, so this wouldn't work (I already had an external DAC).  

Anyway, sorry to ramble...I guess I'm a bit chatty today. I look forward to seeing what direction you go....

Cheers,
John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline Armaegis

Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 07:23:20 AM
If you don't need anything with much power, you could just get a cheap refurb from your local computer store for under $200.

You could feasibly build a small setup with a Mini-ITX or Micro-ATX casing for maybe around $300.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 04:42:22 PM
why not go wireless? You could stream from any pc to a Squeezebox Touch. Probably better than the sound card.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Lar

Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 08:41:19 PM
why not go wireless? You could stream from any pc to a Squeezebox Touch. Probably better than the sound card.
Thats what i`m doing with great results, 24/96 downloads from HD Tracks, great sound!

Larry V

Offline btrancho

• Trancho Photography
Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 01:08:55 AM

+1 on that.  I'm also using a homebuilt running Vortexbox, a Linux distro design just for running as a network server for Squeezebox, Sonos, or direct playing.  Vortexbox is free and requires minimal maintenance.  You can run it headless and doing just about everything via a simple web interface.  Mine has been rock solid reliable. The box I built cost a little over $250 in parts and streams beautifully.  Vortexbox even sells preconfigured units if you don't want the hassle of building yourself.

Bob Trancho

Offline denti alligator

Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 03:21:59 AM
How could that little box do a better job at DAC than the Juli@ card?

I actually have a WD TV box that I use to stream video from same upstairs computer and it works fine. But it only has digital output for audio. So I'd need a DAC, which I don't yet have.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline btrancho

• Trancho Photography
Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 03:57:39 AM

I actually have a WD TV box that I use to stream video from same upstairs computer and it works fine. But it only has digital output for audio. So I'd need a DAC, which I don't yet have.

The Touch has a very decent DAC.  There are better stand alone DACs for sure, but you could always add another DAC if you weren't happy and bypass the Touch DAC.  I'm not familiar with the Juli@ so am unqualified to make a comparison, though from what I see of the the specs it appears superior to the DAC in the Touch for sure. 

Bob Trancho

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 12:15:27 PM

I did look at the Juli@ card some moons ago before I decided on the Transporter. No doubt a good card. The prob with PC cards is "noise" from the computer. To some extent this noise is still a problem with many USB protocols. Ethernet is a cleaner way of getting the bits off the computer, and it doesnt slave the clock. I would probably not use the DAC in the Touch even though it is not bad. Ethernet is about as low noise, bit perfect and low jitter way of getting the bits from the PC to the DAC as you can get. You can always experiment with outboard DAC's off the Touch via SPDIF. I would not hesitate to use the Touch mated to a $5-$10K DAC and not look back. The one limitation to the Touch (as well as my Transporter) is it maxes out at 24/96.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 01:36:07 AM
I'm going to keep my eye on your thread since I have almost decided to do this.  The problem for me is burning all the CDs to a hard drive.  I would want all my music available for a jukebox, this is how I see it.  But a good jukebox.  I'm assuming the Bottlehead DAC would eventually be a part of this.

I'm probably a year or two away.  This will give me a lot to think about.

Thanks for asking the question.

Offline Yoder

Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 08:37:52 AM
Regarding the burning of CDs to a hard drive. It really is not that bad. I have almost 400 Gb of uncompressed audio files now. The key is keeping everything organized, having a fast drive to read the CDs, and then entertaining yourself while burning them.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 03:38:31 PM
 Burning the CD's to the computer. It's not that bad. I use a Vortex box, which will automatically rip each time I feed it a CD, without having to kick on anything. My first try with i-tunes, on a PC was almost as easy. I would grab a hand full of CD's and set them next to the player. Each time I walked passed and saw the drawer open, I just fed in a fresh one. You can burn and play at the same time and there is no rule against burning your favorites first.;)   

John S.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 01:33:10 AM
I get it.  But it is still a ponderous job.  I dread it  but I will put up with it for the convenience.

Offline Yoder

Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 03:59:37 AM
I get it.  But it is still a ponderous job.  I dread it  but I will put up with it for the convenience.

Grainger, you are psyching yourself out. Just surrender yourself to the inevitable...visualize that it will be fun as hell, and that you will conquer the task before you.

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 04:25:59 PM
Grainger, I ripped my CD collection twice.  The first time I ripped them to a "decent-level" MP3 file format.  A few years later, I re-ripped them all to FLAC.  I still listen to records and open-reel tapes but the convenience really is a plus.  The best part is having your collection databased so you can see exactly what you do and don't have at the click of a mouse.

Be prepared with a backup plan.  I have about 230 GB of music and losing it would mean an awful lot of work re-ripping and in some cases re-downloading.  I have a network drive in the laundry room for immediate backups and I also copy the collection to a portable drive that I try to keep "off-site" at work or somewhere.  Memory is cheap and music is priceless.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie