Wiring one output for Crack

denti alligator · 540

Offline denti alligator

on: December 07, 2023, 09:55:53 AM
So I'd like to wire one of the two outputs to bypass the gain stage so I can connect it to my Crack but still use the input selector switch. Should I assemble the Moreplay in stock form first and then rewire it, or is this something that I could do during the initial assembly? In either case, could someone provide the detailed instructions? Do I leave the resistors in place across the two outputs, for example? Thanks in advance for the help.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 10:47:40 AM
You would take the outputs of the selector switch and send them back to the second set of RCA jacks.  You would not use the 220 ohm resistors between the output jacks, nor would you wire their grounds together.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline denti alligator

Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 12:20:12 PM
Great, thanks. Is there any reason not to do this during the initial assembly?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: December 07, 2023, 12:50:55 PM
The more deviations in the build that occur (intentionally or not), the tougher it is to debug.  Having said that, adding more wires to the selector switch is harder once the kit is built since those selector switch terminals aren't going to be happy to be heated back up.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline denti alligator

Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 04:57:05 AM
Working on this now and want to be sure I don’t mess it up. I’m about to finish wiring the first CAT-5 wires to the selector switch. Since these are inputs, I’m assuming they stay as is. With the next set of CAT-5 wires I’m less certain about what to do. The orange and brown go to the last pair of inputs, right? It’s the blue and green ones that I need to change. Could you tell me exactly how these should be wired? Sorry for being so dense on this.

My guess is I need to find an extra pair of CAT-5 wires to run from the center of the selector switch to the second set out outputs. A to solid and B to striped to R5 and C solid and D striped to L5?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 05:17:24 AM by denti alligator »

- Sam

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 06:24:07 AM
Yes, you have the right idea.  Also remember that if you get something mixed up, you can always flip the wires around where they connect to the output jacks, so the selector switch doesn't have to be reheated.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline denti alligator

Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 06:30:20 AM
Cool, thanks. Can i just use extra solid core wire for this? Should i twist them? And to confirm: A to cup R5, B to tab R5, C to cup L5 and D to tab L5?

Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 06:33:20 AM by denti alligator »

- Sam

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: January 01, 2024, 06:32:58 AM
I would use the extra unused pairs of wires in the CAT5 if they will reach. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline denti alligator

Reply #8 on: January 01, 2024, 06:36:09 AM
There isnt enough in this kit. I’ll look to see if I have some leftover from another one… what would be a good alternative?

- Sam

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: January 01, 2024, 06:38:55 AM
Any old solid core wire (preferably tinned) should work fine.  The size isn't important, but I wouldn't go much bigger than what we provide since it's just harder to use overall and doesn't offer much in the way of benefits.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline denti alligator

Reply #10 on: January 01, 2024, 06:45:17 AM
Ok, thanks. I found some 24-AWG solid core wire. Should i twist them? Use any of the leftover shielding from the CAT-5?

And to confirm: A to cup R5, B to tab R5, C to cup L5 and D to tab L5?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 06:55:39 AM by denti alligator »

- Sam

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: January 01, 2024, 09:52:39 AM
Give it a shot and let us know how it works out.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline denti alligator

Reply #12 on: January 02, 2024, 07:21:31 AM
Since the left channel is not working, I can confirm that indeed this wiring seems to work, in that I get the right channel on the Crack. Just need to fix whatever connection issue I have with the left channel on the Moreplay.

- Sam

Offline denti alligator

Reply #13 on: January 02, 2024, 09:12:48 AM
Since even with the Moreplay off I don’t get the left channel for all inputs, doesn’t this suggest the problem is somewhere between the selector switch and the outputs? Maybe my attempt to wire this tape out went awry?

- Sam