Braided input wiring

Thermioniclife · 583

Offline Thermioniclife

on: September 09, 2019, 01:53:20 PM
Hello all,
Is there any particular reason for braiding the input wiring instead of using shielded two conductor cable?
It seems a bit clunky.

Regards, Lee

Lee R.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 02:34:47 PM
The shield should ideally go to earth, not audio ground, and there isn't a convenient earth ground by the volume pot.  You'd also want shielded 3 conductor wiring so you could carry the signal ground in there. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 03:16:17 PM
thanks for the reply PB,
My thought was use a two conductor plus shield cable to the V.C. and use the braided shield as the audio ground not actually as a shielded cable. Smaller diameter and footprint under the chassis to accommodate the inevitable inclusion of output film caps.
I have some Carol 2cond. plus shield on hand.
I understand your statement regarding using 3 cond. plus shield as a truly shielded cable.
I'm just spitballing here as I am awaiting my BeePre and Crack 1.1 with Speedball kits arrival.

Regards Lee

Lee R.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 03:36:42 PM
A lot of the shielded cable around has stranded conductors, and those can be pretty miserable to work with, especially on that lower set of lugs on the volume control.  We do use stranded twisted pair shielded wiring for the input wiring on the Kaiju, but it isn't in a place where its movement matters much, and the single deck trim pots provide a more generous amount of working space to get everything properly positioned.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 04:43:23 PM
Working with stranded wire cable with a braided shield is not foreign to me as I have built electronic equipment for many years.
It would make your hair stand up to see some of the devices I had to build, designed by others that had totally inappropriate wire and cable spec'd for the circuit. it made my life miserable but on the other hand it made me stronger.
As long as there is no sonic problem I am sure I can deal with it.

Lee R.