incorrect voltage at initial build and broken led lead

freejazz · 937

Offline freejazz

Reply #15 on: May 06, 2020, 08:13:16 AM
That's what I thought, but this is my first point-to-point build so I wanted to double check. Many thanks!

/d

Offline freejazz

Reply #16 on: May 09, 2020, 06:26:52 PM
Ran into another problem, this time with the Speedball. I wanted to get started on the Speedball upgrade while waiting for the LEDs to arrive from Mouser so I thought I'd stuff the boards. While checking my work I noticed that the pad between R1a and Q1a on the small circuit board seems to have a permanent solder bridge caused by the trace being at the surface of the underside of the board (please see attached photo). I believe the the trace is at the surface since the solder bridge (and resultant solder left-overs) have the exact same shape as the trace on the bottom of the board. No matter how many time I use a solder sucker or a solder tape I can't remove the bridge. Looking at the plans on pg 7 of of the Speedball installation manual R1 (237R) should connect to Q1 (PN2907a) (this is somewhat confusing on the plans since there are two parts labeled Q1- PN2907A and 2N2222A -, Q2 - MJE350 and TIP50C -, R1 - 31R6 and 237R -, and R2 - 150K2W and 47K2W - maybe a possible spot for a revision??. Actually there are two D1 and D2, too, but they are all the same part!) on the emitter (pin 1, far left looking at the flat edge of the part). Looking at the board the bridge between the resistor and the transistor appears also to be at the emitter (pin 1) (see photo). If I understand this correctly then the solder bridge caused by the trace at the surface shouldn't be a big deal when I install the small circuit board since the solder bridge is essentially a redundant trace. If I have it wrong I may need a new board. Please advise. Thanks, /d

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: May 09, 2020, 07:05:58 PM
They are supposed to be connected.  You probably have burned off the solder mask that would otherwise be covering that trace.  Just leave it alone, eventually if you keep heating it the trace will peel off and you will need a new board.

We have a Q1A, Q2A, etc. on each board.  There's no need to continue the indexing when moving on to the next board, especially considering many of our boards go in multiple different kits.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 05:00:54 AM by Paul Birkeland »

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline freejazz

Reply #18 on: May 09, 2020, 08:55:25 PM
Thanks