Quick question - Speedball transistor orientation

jbarnhardt · 868

Offline jbarnhardt

on: January 15, 2015, 08:28:15 PM
Hi Bottleheados. I got a Crack + Speedball kit around Christmas time. Quickly built the Crack, it tested perfect immediately, and I've been listening to and loving it since. I'm now getting ready to install the Speedball. I put together the circuit boards tonight but had one bit of confusion. On page 17, the instructions say to "Install an MJE350 in the Q2 position as shown, with the metalic face of the transistor facing the center of the PC board."  The MJE350s I received don't have a metallic face. I did a few tests with my voltmeter and I think I've identified which legs are collector/emitter/base. I also looked up the pinout, but it's unclear to me which is the "front" of the transistor, so that was inconclusive. In any case, I've attached a picture and would appreciate if you fine folks could verify that I've got this guy installed the right way before I solder it in. Thanks for any help. It's hard for me to imagine the Crack sounding even better than it already does, so I can't wait to hear it post-Speedball!

-John

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 09:00:31 PM
Your answer is in the Crack thread sticky section

http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=6689.0

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline jbarnhardt

Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 04:32:53 AM
Ah! I thought I had read all those stickies but apparently I missed that one. Thanks Jamie.

-John