Eros Output Caps

Grainger49 · 19996

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #45 on: March 22, 2014, 07:22:32 AM
To add a bit here - the output stage of Eros is the same as Seduction (now Reduction). The original Seduction had a 0.47uF cap, which could work with load as low as 15Kohms, but with a trace of deep bass loss, -3dB at 22.5Hz. With Eros, we wanted an upgrade in performance and parts, and the 1.0uF Solen seemed appropriate.

Hmmm... Good to know. I have a .47uF in my Seduction and it sounds real nice. Especially with my new Ortofon Blue cart. But I do have a pair of 1.0uF Solen capacitors that were removed from my S.E.X. 2.0 when I installed the MQ iron upgrade. I might just swap those into my Seduction for experimentation purposes. 

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #46 on: March 22, 2014, 08:46:51 AM
The BH Customs "Eros" that PB built for me has 1uf TFTF V-caps at the output and the bass has plenty of extension and timbre. The bass drum whacks on the Holst Wind Band Suites with Frederick Fennel sound plenty deep and tactile, rattling a couple of hanging prints when listening quite loud. I have never tried swapping caps though, so cannot give a comparison____ it just sounds great!

Hank in Eugene

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #47 on: March 22, 2014, 09:41:49 AM
Hank that is super the two Paul's really look to have cooked you up a beauty and something that must give a high level of pride in ownership as well as beautiful sounding music.

Jamie
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 09:45:03 AM by JamieMcC »

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #48 on: March 23, 2014, 05:30:00 PM
I was very lucky that Dan introduced me to Paul Birkeland at the Vancouver VSAC. He also built my Soul Sister/Kugelis linestage, a fine stereo 2A3 amp, and a Custom Crack with many trick features including Submissive volume controls and a special PS. It sounds quite wonderful with my Cardas-cabled Senn 600's, reaching deeper into the low bass than my speaker system. I sometimes listen to my headphones while using my MacBook Pro and it is delightful to work this way. The other pieces also use V-Caps in all signal circuits.
Cheers, Hank

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #49 on: March 25, 2014, 12:47:20 PM
Hi Hank, the Teflon capacitors are rather addictive aren't they. I was really surprised recently after taking some out of my Cracks circuit at just how plasticky and course my film caps sounded without them on  bypass duty. Prior to their fitting I was over the moon with the improvement the films gave over the stock electrolytes as well. The new ones are still in the burn in phase but already are sounding very delicious.

Cheers, Jamie
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 12:49:19 PM by JamieMcC »

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Sugar Man

• The Last Honest Lawyer
Reply #50 on: May 10, 2016, 05:49:30 AM
To add a bit here - the output stage of Eros is the same as Seduction (now Reduction). The original Seduction had a 0.47uF cap, which could work with load as low as 15Kohms, but with a trace of deep bass loss, -3dB at 22.5Hz. With Eros, we wanted an upgrade in performance and parts, and the 1.0uF Solen seemed appropriate.

Is there a consensus on what the ideal cap size would be for the Eros? My stock Solen's are 1.5uF and the bass is great.  One can obviously save money on 0.47uF boutique capacitors, but I don't want to weaken the bottom end.  Mundorf has a 0.47uF, 0.68uF, 1uF and 1.5uF.  From browsing earlier comments here, I saw that Grainger and DebK were even using 0.22uF and seemed happy.  Input appreciated before I run amok at the capacitor candy store.

Mike "Stein" Ayotte

Current Gear:

Elekit TU-8600 300B w/Lundahl Trannies
Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Rega RP8 w/ Apheta 2
Bluesound Node 2i
Audio Note E Speaker Kit-04 w/ AlNiCo drivers

Stereomour II w/ Jupiters
Eros w/ Mundorf Silver Oils
Blumenstein Orcas & Subs

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #51 on: May 10, 2016, 06:03:15 AM
There are two criteria that I use. First, the cap must be large enough to pass bass into the power amp's input impedance. Second, it must be large enough that its impedance is lower than the output impedance of the preamp at 120Hz - the power supply hum frequency. The second reduces the chance of hum pickup from electric fields. The 0.47uF meets the second criterion, and also meets the first if the power amp input impedance is above 15K - though the amp is specified to drive 50K or more.

Paul Joppa

Offline Sugar Man

• The Last Honest Lawyer
Reply #52 on: May 10, 2016, 06:38:17 AM
Thanks PJ.  So, since my Stereomour II has a 50K input impedance, is it safe to say the 0.47uF's will git 'er done on both criteria and save me a little coin?  ;D

Mike "Stein" Ayotte

Current Gear:

Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Rega RP8 w/ Apheta 2
Bluesound Node 2i

Blumenstein Orcas & Subs

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #53 on: May 10, 2016, 09:55:30 AM
Absolutely!

Paul Joppa

Offline Sugar Man

• The Last Honest Lawyer
Reply #54 on: May 10, 2016, 10:32:16 AM
Awesome!  Since I also own a Seduction as well, I think I may start with a couple pairs of "relatively affordable" 0.47uF Mundorf MCap Supremes and Jupiter HT Beeswax for a shoot-out.  Then I might upgrade to the "relatively less affordable" Mundorf Silver Oils and/or Jupiter Copper Foils, and move the shoot-out winner over to the Seduction. 

I recently had Warren Jarrett (Audio Note dealer here in SoCal) over for a listening session to audition a "gently used" Audio Note IQ3 MM cartridge.  He also brought along a fairly pricey Music First 632 phono preamp (solid state and it uses the Mundorf MCap Supremes) and it sounded really, really good in my system. I'm betting it's those boutique caps that were bringing the magic...

Mike "Stein" Ayotte

Current Gear:

Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Rega RP8 w/ Apheta 2
Bluesound Node 2i

Blumenstein Orcas & Subs

Offline rockpassion

Reply #55 on: May 10, 2016, 03:03:34 PM
Mike,

I used  a pair of .22uf 600v Russian FT-3 Teflon capacitors.  I found the differences were mainly in the soundstage which became much more precise.   Also, the mids and highs are just outstanding and extremely musical.  I cannot tell a difference in bass response, the bass is very tight and deep enough for me. 

I did not compare these caps to any other caps other than the ones that came with the kit.  But I will say the difference is very noticeable and I am extremely happy with the results. 

Good luck.

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers