Capacitor upgrades for shunt regulator?

mwaller · 1456

Offline mwaller

on: May 12, 2016, 05:57:29 AM
In an earlier post, Caucasian Blackplate mentioned that it may be worth upgrading the 0.1uf caps in the shunt regulator circuit.
These are the brown rectangular caps, correct?
What kind are the stock capacitors, and what qualities would one seek to improve upon? 
Any suggestions for what type of cap would be "better" in this application?
Thanks,
Mika

Offline rockpassion

Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 12:26:35 PM
Mika,

I replaced the .1uf capacitors with same value Russian FT-3 Teflon caps.  I also replaced the .47uf Solen caps with .22uf Russian FT-3 Teflon caps.  The change was noticeable, the sound was clearer, more distinct soundstage and just a more musical output.  However, I could not tell you which change made the difference.  I did both because they were easy to change and the Russian caps were fairly inexpensive. 

Good luck and keep us posted. 

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline mwaller

Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 01:21:04 PM
Thanks for input!
Any idea whether it is acceptable to use a larger value cap on the shunt regulator board?  Once I upgrade the output capacitors, I will have some spare .47uF Auricaps...
Thanks,
Mika

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 02:17:40 PM
No. The R and C values are chosen to compensate a specific corner frequency inside the regulator chip, to maintain stability. It's not super-critical; a +/-20% variation in capacitance is reasonable.

Paul Joppa

Offline mwaller

Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 05:32:13 AM
No. The R and C values are chosen to compensate a specific corner frequency inside the regulator chip, to maintain stability. It's not super-critical; a +/-20% variation in capacitance is reasonable.

Thanks for the info!
Mika