New Tubes Telefunken 806S

thdewitt · 4287

Offline mwaller

Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 06:22:47 AM
Those look like my EF 806S - and they're the best sounding tubes I've used in my Eros!  I've tried quite a few "premium" NOS examples, including Mullard, Philips, Siemens, Tesla, GEC, and Valvo e80F.  The telefunken is a clear winner in my book. Congrats!  Now get yourself a early "gray shield" Siemens CCa for the 6922 position and you will be set :-)
Mika

OK, I am a sucker for anything that may possibly make my bottlehead products better.  One night while drunk Ebay shopping I purchased these tubes.  Now that I am sober and I received them in the mail, I can't help but wonder if they are real.  I can say I paid enough that they should be real.  Anyone know one way or another.  I have tried to look online but can't figure it out.  A lot of differing info.

(https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38833957/2015-09-16%2021.40.36.jpg)

Offline makarushka

Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 10:00:46 AM
The diamond on the glass should absolutely have raised sides. It may be hard to tell just by observation -- take an exacto knife or something like that to test it; it'll be obvious. If the sides are IN the glass -- carved into it, if you will, etched or laser cut -- it is a fake.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 10:44:11 AM
Congrats! I have a pair in my Eros tape as well. Of note, I have a few grey plate tele EF86's that are identical in structure to the 806S and sound just as good. From what I've read, they were the rejects off of the 806S line and labeled as standard EF86's at a fraction of the price. 

Aaron Johnson