Will the BeePre match my SS power amp?

Rublyow · 7030

Offline Rublyow

on: September 09, 2013, 05:52:07 PM
Currently I am using a vintage integrated Onkyo A10 power amplifier, and I'm thinking about buying a BeePre and bypassing the preamp stage of the Onkyo and just using it as a power amplifier.  The input impedance for the power amp stage of the Onkyo is 50k --- is this too high for the BeePre with an output impedance of 500 ohms?  (I don't know much about impedance matching, only that you want a factor of at least 10 or 20 times higher, but it's unclear to me if you can have too much of a good thing).  I've attached a pdf of the Onkyo spec sheet --- Is anything else I should be concerning myself with when assessing how well these two pieces would match?

Also, is there any reason to suspect that the Eros will have volume issues running through this setup?  My phono cartridge is the Clearaudio Maestro, at 3.6 mV output.

Thanks!

Dan

Marantz TT-15s1  / Clearaudio Maestro Cartridge / Bottlehead Eros / Bottlehead Crack / Bottlehead Quickie / Onkyo A-10 Integrated Amp / Paradigm Monitor 7 v3 speakers / Peachtree Audio Era D4 speakers / Fusion Tempest DIY speakers / Sennheiser HD 585

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 06:52:43 PM
This will be no problem for the BeePre and the Eros.

Michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline Rublyow

Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 06:48:34 AM
Great, thanks!

Dan

Marantz TT-15s1  / Clearaudio Maestro Cartridge / Bottlehead Eros / Bottlehead Crack / Bottlehead Quickie / Onkyo A-10 Integrated Amp / Paradigm Monitor 7 v3 speakers / Peachtree Audio Era D4 speakers / Fusion Tempest DIY speakers / Sennheiser HD 585

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 06:55:50 AM
Dan,

It is only fair to warn you.  The sound you hear from an Eros/BeePree combination can be addictive. 

You might, like me, change your amp and speakers to get more of the same sound.  I started with the Seduction, then the Foreplay 2.  Later the Paramours and Triangle speakers (now Orcas).

As addictive as drugs but all legal!

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 03:22:38 PM
I have kind of held off on this thread.. I had to sort out my opinions - Try to be constructive. I think I have it "consolidated". --- Forget about the back end to the beepree. The beepree WILL be the "focal" point of your system. Everything else will come second. I know thats harsh. IMO, Bottlehead gear will cause some serious "modifications" with the rest of your kit. In a good way. Like Granger said - beware!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Chris

Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 12:12:52 AM
That is probably one of the highest compliments one can give... To be willing to change the speakers in order to better serve the components.. I can't think of a higher compliment to the Bottlehead designs...

Offline Rublyow

Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 04:26:12 AM
Bottlehead gear will cause some serious "modifications" with the rest of your kit. In a good way. Like Granger said - beware!

That's what I'm worried about  ;D

But truthfully, that is sort of the goal.  Unfortunately the wife-approval-factor for the large size of most quality high sensitivity speakers is very low, and I don't really have the space for them (or the money) at this time.  I know I can get away with some smaller high sensitivity speakers that can be powered by tube amps like the Paramounts, but really, what's the point of having great amps only to run them through sub par speakers?

SO.... the current plan is to slowly phase out the Onkyo by first bypassing the preamp stage with the BeePre, and then hopefully replacing the speakers and the power amp stage in the future.  I just want to make sure the sound won't suck if I am stuck using the Onkyo power amp for the next year or two.

Dan

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 01:36:20 PM
Hey Dan - I would not worry about the power amp stage - plenty out there with very nice "modern" well behaved sound - for minimal bucks - you don't have to suffer these days with outdated stuff. Thank the recession, china etc

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline pvannest

Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 01:54:55 PM
Eric,

I am kind of in the same boat as I have built the Eros and now have the BeePre on order.   I have a set of Vandersteen's that I really love and would not want to give up any time soon.    I power them with a 20+ year old Adcom amplifier that has seen better days.   I just convinced my better half to get the new preamp, so I am not in the market right now, however, it is not long before Christmas.   I see you have an Emotive amp driving your maggies.   I have heard both good and bad about the Emotive brand, but given the sources I have little trust in those ad hoc reviews.    How do you like the emotive amplifier and how well does it mesh with the tube gear?

Paul

Project RPM 1.3, Speed box, Acrylic Platter, Sound Smith upgraded Sumiko EVOIII  Eros, Beepre, Emotive XPA-2, Cambridge Azur 640C, Magneplanar 3.7i's, Dayton Audio Sub.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 02:46:01 PM
Hey Paul - I really like the XPA-2 with the Q up front and the MMG's. VERY well behaved power amp! The Maggies will show EVERYTHING. The designer of this amp probably copied other well designed amps (Bryston). Class A/B - I had a class A biased amp that did not sound this good (Perreaux). It is now in the Mkll version. I would by it if I were you! - around Christmas they go for $100 off.

Eric

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 03:02:10 PM
I love my amp, which cost more than twice what the XPA-2 costs. Yet I still lust for the XPA-2 and periodically think about selling my current amp to buy one...I didn't even know they have overhauled it until now. Looks like a screaming deal...

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 04:23:35 PM
Yep, and the funny thing is they have a "reference"  class D that has twice the power (and price). I would be hesitant to bite on that. Not enough opinions out yet......

Eric

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 04:27:59 PM
One thing I can say about the XPA-2 - it needs tubes in the pre-section. I have tried my level best to get them out. No deal. Too uninvolved of a sound without the tubes. Very "listenable", but not what you want when you sit down after a hard day at work etc.. I think, IMO, its a great combo for those that cant afford the high power tubes to drive their speaker of choice.

Eric

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 04:48:54 PM
Yeah, I think part of why I like my current amp so much is that it's a hybrid...a bit of tube magic with solid state power.

Offline Chris

Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 08:46:18 AM
"I had a class A biased amp that did not sound this good (Perreaux)"..  interesting.... Perreauxs are not cheap...