Can I still remove the end bell on a completed crack to wash/paint it?

revolverxz · 1343

Offline revolverxz

or is it ok to just wipe it clean with a cloth, then apply the paint without removing the end bell?

Offline caffeinator

Hi revolverxx,

Either one is okay, though obviously, the 'paint in place' option is much easier.  I've done both at one time or another, either to paint the bell end, the transformer lams, or the top plate, or sometimes more than one of these.

If you really want to remove the end bell, you have to, of course, be very careful not to disturb any connections and when replacing the removed components, ensure that they're all back where they belong.  It can be a handful, but is doable.  Of course, allow some time after shutoff before handling to allow PS caps to discharge.

If painting in place, use care not to get cleaning solvents or abrasive residue into the works, then mask and paint (if you're not planning to just paint all over).  Painting in place has the added benefit of enabling easy coating of fastener heads for the transformer screws.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Taking apart a transformer on a built kit is something I will never do again, and will never recommend to anyone. It's just an awful process and not worth the time.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline revolverxz

Thanks for the replies! I will just go with the paint in place option.

Offline mtheshark90

I too am curious about this. Is there any disadvantage to coating the end bell once it's built?

Is there any reason to coat any part of the bell other than the top side and the transformer block it sits on? Or does coating the underside of the bell have its advantages?

Offline revolverxz

I think only the top part of the bell is necessary to prevent rust

Offline caffeinator

The bells are steel, and thus, any exposed areas will eventually rust.  They do seem to have some kind of waxy or sticky material on them as received, but this may only be whatever lube was used for the forming process, and it doesn't seem to provide durable rust protection.

I think that painting only the visible surfaces of the bell is more than adequate.  Since I usually set them on bottlecaps and spraypaint them, there is some light overspray on and under the edges.  I don't coat the undersides.  I presume they eventually rust, but it has never become visible in the 15 plus years since painting.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
The coating on the transformers is varnish.  To paint the transformer on an already built Crack, you can use steel wool to clean off any rust on the cover, then very, very lightly rub on the lamination stack to dislodge any loose rust.  Next, tape off the entire top of the chassis plate other than the transformer, then just spray the whole thing down with whatever paint you like (I like Rustoleum black textured paint, as well as VHT roll bar).

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man