SEX 2.1 completed but not done <SOLVED>

ditdah · 3854

Offline Grainger49

Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 01:31:17 AM
I find tubes retro, obviously, and cool looking.  Looking on the inside of a tube are all kinds of intricate constructions that most of us don't know what they do.  And yet, they make music in a way little pieces of sand don't.

I particularly like the ST (I think that is right) shaped tubes, like most 2A3s and 300Bs.  I changed the driver in my Paramour to a 76 which has the same shape, but shorter/smaller, as the output 2A3.  It added cool to the look and something special to the sound over the stock 12AT7.

Just my view, if tubes look ugly to you, no one can say you are wrong.  They are not you.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 07:38:38 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline ditdah

Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 05:04:02 AM
I think I conveyed the wrong sentiment.  Tubes don't look ugly and I don't dislike them.  Exactly the opposite.  I was referring to the tubes in the SEX amp specifically.

I also think tubes are absolutely retro and to me...stand for analogue and purity of sound.  I'd take a tube over anything SS any day.  I just think the tubes on the SEX amp in particular look ugly.  Unlike the tubes on my Crack amp...which look dead sexy.  hope that cleared it up.

some pics for reference   ;D

Kenneth Koller

Offline tuffy_puppy

Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 07:32:53 AM
those 6dn7 tubes look like worker bees to me.  that's why i have 6 pairs on hand.  considering getting a couple of pairs cryo'd.  don

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 03:34:45 PM
Ken,

Your comments on the sound are great -- that's the way it should be -- your impressions, how it sounds to you, the things you notice, etc.

Maybe the thing with the tubes is the assymetry of the two different constructions?

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline ditdah

Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 05:26:30 PM
Jim,
I'd say yes...it's probably nothing more than an aesthetic issue with me (the tubes).  The sound is certainly outstanding.  I have since replaced the tubes with NOS GE...same exactly as what I had.  When the tubes arrived today...the box is exactly the same as what Bottlehead sent me!  So, the originals are now backup to the ones I've just gotten.  (nice how that worked out  ;) )  The new tubes are pristine...not a flaw can be seen in the printing (no smearing or anything else)...and no visible Mica buildup of any kind (to my eye).  And no top bridge!  The tubes are matched and for all intensive purposes identical.  (they're pretty)  Either way...I was surprised to see they were constructed the same (to my eye) (plate, general semetry etc...).  I have to say the sonic values appear to be the same as well.  At least I'm not wiggin out at them ;)  Im well pleased AND that's all that matters.  Guess I'm much more vain than I'd ever admit.  Not something I like admitting really.

A few more hours on the SEX...I've been doing my best to A/B it with the crack. They are different animals...period.  I can say that so far...the SEX is, in my perception, more detailed (separated) and dynamic.  I'm hearing stronger bass...more instrument separation...stuff like that.  I am having a hard time describing it...but, somehow...I get "more" out of the SEX.  Nothing is "broke in" yet...just first impressions here.  Dont' get me wrong...my CRACK is never leaving my side...however, she's gonna have a hard time seeing time with my SEX in the same room.  (again...initial impressions.  DAY 2 today)

*edit* deleted some drunken banter...pfft.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 01:29:02 AM by ditdah »

Kenneth Koller