EMF (?) interference with S.E.X. 2.0

denti alligator · 2547

Offline denti alligator

on: February 08, 2017, 04:14:23 PM
I'm using my amp exclusively for headphones and I notice some nasty interference when playing files from my PC. It's a high pitched wheezing that goes in and out. It's pretty quiet, but noticeable in between tracks and with quiet music.

I thought it might be the wifi, but have ruled that out. It's only when the CPU is going. So when I start a track it starts up; when I stop a track it stops. When I open a browser on the PC, it starts up, etc.

I've put copper tape shielding on the inside of the PC case and the SEX amp. And I've tried moving the amp further away (it's now about 6 feet away). No improvement.

Any thoughts on a next step? Some more robust EMI shielding for the PC?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline caffeinator

Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 05:24:04 AM
Hi denti-alligator,

When you say "only when the CPU is running," do you mean when the PC is running, or the processor itself?  Are you running the files from a CD in the PC drive, from the hard drive of the PC, or from memory or a SSD?

TIA,

david

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 07:09:31 AM
This is just the noise of your PC doing its work.  It will go away if you add a DAC and cable the two together with Toslink.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline denti alligator

Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 10:19:04 AM
I should have specified:

I am running the PC to an external DAC using USB.

I mean that the noise occurs when the CPU is higher that simply its idle mode. The tracks are on a NAS, being transmitted over wifi. But I tested with a track on the PC and it was the same.

I'm using the Stereomour as a source selector, by the way. I just tested the Stereomour on its own. Putting my ear up to the speakers and turning the volume all the way up I can hear the same sound. Not really audible at normal volume and listening distance.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 10:31:05 AM by denti alligator »

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline denti alligator

Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 08:19:14 AM
It's definitely the PC. My toptop doesn't produce the same sound. I've ordered a USB filter. Hopefully this will help. I'll report back.

- Sam

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 01:12:52 PM
order a toslink cable (and USB to toslink adapter if you don't have an available toslink port).

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline denti alligator

Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 01:17:20 PM
order a toslink cable (and USB to toslink adapter if you don't have an available toslink port).

-PB

I can't do DSD over toslink, unfortunately. My DAC sounds pretty sweet with DSD, so that's what I'm aiming for.

- Sam

Offline physicsmajor

Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 12:38:20 PM
For the record, this is (or at least, can be) a thing.  It's an intermittent scratchy/whining sound much like coil whine from some laptops, or how early 3G phones could sometimes interact with wireless PA systems or speakerphones.

In my case, it's definitely not correlated with the attached computer's activity.  Only present at a low level so I dealt with it for a while.

In the end I did track it down to other wireless devices - specifically, bluetooth and Wi-Fi.  This first showed up in my 2.1 model when I replaced a B/G router with a N-capable one.  My amp is on my desk, the router is almost directly under it on a shelf.  Verified further by doing some heavy wireless streaming next door.  However, finally figuring out the source let me reduce it greatly by moving/reorienting the router.

Your mileage may vary, but that's my experience.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 02:47:49 PM
It's definitely coming from the computer. And it's not the wifi.

I got an ifi iPurifier for the USB. Doesn't help! So I'm sending that back. I've ordered a more robust USB cable, which I'll try next. After that I have no clue what to do.

When I play from my laptop I don't get the interference, but my laptop doesn't have the power to do DSD, and anyway, it's my laptop. I need it for other stuff.

- Sam

Offline denti alligator

Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 04:01:18 PM
I'm returning the motherboard. Hopefully that will solve this.

- Sam

Offline denti alligator

Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 04:32:32 PM
After trying a ton of other things, including switching out the motherboard and power supply, etc. etc, I finally solved this by putting the 3-prong plug of the S.E.X. into a 2-prong plug. Is this safe? Should I attach the ground somewhere.

- Sam

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 06:55:55 AM
After trying a ton of other things, including switching out the motherboard and power supply, etc. etc, I finally solved this by putting the 3-prong plug of the S.E.X. into a 2-prong plug. Is this safe? Should I attach the ground somewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheater_plug#Safety

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Jamier

Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 07:30:21 AM
My first SET amp was (is, I still have it) a Triode Corp TRV A 300 SE. It actually came with an adapter that allowed disconnection of the ground. I put it in a ziplock with a note that says " never use this!" It is a great little amp. It's the amp that changed my audio life.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline denti alligator

Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 09:59:57 AM

- Sam

Offline Jamier

Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 10:21:12 AM
Sam, is the computer on the same circuit as the rest of your system, including the SEX? I have some components that make all kinds of noise if they are not all powered by the same circuit ( on
the same circuit with respect to the home's wiring, you know, on the same breaker).
Jamie

James Robbins