Finished Speedball - Missing the Old Laidback sound...

Coug45 · 757

Offline Coug45

So, just completed the Speedball upgrade on my year old Crack.  It is everything promised, tighter, punchier, more dynamic, lower noise floor.  Really a great improvement, buuuuuut, I really relied on the Crack for my relaxing, take a load off, get ready for bed, music listening pleasure. The improvements  are great, but doesn’t give me that relaxing feeling I relied on.  I know it wouldn't be hard to reverse everything back to stock, buuuuuuut, I really like the Speedball too.  It fills another niche I presently don’t have covered - that nice, tight bass.  I’m tossing around an idea of putting in a 6 pole selector switch for the 1U, 2U, 4U, 5U, 7U, and 9U connections (3U would remain unswitched and wired to stock and Speedball configurations - ground) to switch between stock configuration and Speedball. 

The switch would be mounted on the underside, and just to make it a little more safe I’m planning on installing a limit switch to interrupt power from the plug if the top is removed from the base, maybe with a little extra insulation, just in case.  Not saying I would purposely leave power to the plug, its on a switched power strip, but just for defense in depth...  So switching would only be possible with the unit powered down. 

My only concerns are: 1) thermal concerns.  The 3K resistors were mounted under the vents, and probably should be remounted there.  Which means the large board would likely need to be relocated.  I think if it was moved laterally to be between the headphone jack and the power switch (the 6 pole switch would go there as well) it should all fit. And 2) I’m missing something, can anyone think of a reason why this might not work?  My practical electrical experience level is low, and I’d really like others input on this before giving it a shot.  $30 in parts will be a lot less expensive than building another Crack.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 02:20:06 PM
You could just take the small board out and put the 22.1K resistors back.  That would likely be a happy medium between what you had and what you have now.  IMO there is no reason to not use the bigger of the two boards.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Coug45

Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 03:59:44 PM
Thanks Paul.  I’ll give that a try.  I’ve gotta say though I kinda like both the stock and upgraded.  But, something in the middle might just be the answer.  I’ll search for other posts for just the large bard.

Thanks again.

Offline Coug45

Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 04:01:54 PM
And why isn’t Tubesday a valid answer for “the day that comes after Monday”?

Deke609

Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 04:24:39 PM
  I’ve gotta say though I kinda like both the stock and upgraded.  But, something in the middle might just be the answer. 

or ... all three! I see a 6P3T switch in your future! If you could pull it off, it'd be pretty sweet. And probably a first - and that's saying something for the Crack, which must be the most widely and variously modified tube amp in history.   ;D

cheers, Derek

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 04:27:26 PM
Hey coug45,
Audio preference is subjective. You like what you like and that's all that matters. I myself built a crack and I listened to it for a month before installing the speed ball, at that point I installed the small board for the 12au7 and I thought the improvement was quite nice.
I listened to that for a couple of weeks and installed the 6080 board and my opinion changed. Having said this do what makes you happy. Take your time and relax, evaluate, reconsider, reevaluate, make changes as you see fit, rinse, lather and repeat as needed.
The journey is the experience that you will remember in the end.

Lee R.

Offline Coug45

Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 04:43:45 PM
or ... all three! I see a 6P3T switch in your future! If you could pull it off, it'd be pretty sweet. And probably a first - and that's saying something for the Crack, which must be the most widely and variously modified tube amp in history.   ;D

cheers, Derek

Dang, I was looking at a 6P3T switch, just figured the extra position would be null, but now...?

Offline Coug45

Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 05:27:07 PM
Hey coug45,
Audio preference is subjective. You like what you like and that's all that matters. I myself built a crack and I listened to it for a month before installing the speed ball, at that point I installed the small board for the 12au7 and I thought the improvement was quite nice.
I listened to that for a couple of weeks and installed the 6080 board and my opinion changed. Having said this do what makes you happy. Take your time and relax, evaluate, reconsider, reevaluate, make changes as you see fit, rinse, lather and repeat as needed.
The journey is the experience that you will remember in the end.

So you recommend a 6P4T switch...?  Kidding, but... Hmmm?

Seriously though, my tastes and budget (well maybe just budget) are middling at best (depending on who you ask...) I’ve got three amps/headphone combos and they all had their purpose/niche, (with more replaced by these).   The Speedball added another dimension (Can’t Stop The Bleeding by Tom Merello, Gary Clark Jr., and Gramatik - oh lord!) but removed another (relax!). So I want my cake and eat it too, maybe without having to buy another cake...

Offline Deluk

Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 01:42:22 AM
Tune your vibes with another set of cans.