Powerline voltage check (Crack 1.1)

sfojws · 692

Offline sfojws

on: November 02, 2023, 09:27:13 AM
When attempting to perform the powerline voltage measurement, the reading has been only (approximately) 5 or 6 volts. On a previous build, a similar low voltage reading was solved by assuring a firm placement of the power cord into the IEC connector. Then, the subsequent reading was 121.3 volts, as expected. This time, that maneuver did not significantly change the reading. I've tried using a different power outlet, a different cord, and tried a new battery in the meter (although I doubted that a new battery would affect the voltage reading, I wanted to check all variables). Again, there was no difference in the reading. A continuity check between the pins of the IEC connector and the E, L, and N terminals showed continuity (zero or low resistance) between the center pin and terminal E, and between the pin to the left of the ground pin and terminal N, and no continuity (reading "OL") between the pin to the right of the ground pin and terminal L. Is it possible that the IEC connector is defective? Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you for any insight that you can offer.   

John

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2023, 09:36:11 AM
In the many decades that we have been selling kits, I can never remember there ever being a case of a defective IEC power entry module. 

Is the fuse in the correct half of the fuse holder?  With your meter set to AC volts, what voltage do you measure at the wall?  How about at the end of a plugged in IEC cord?

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline sfojws

Reply #2 on: November 02, 2023, 11:48:10 AM
To paraphrase Daffy Duck, "Ah-hah!! (then, in sotto voce) Fuse holder problem."

I had a hard time envisioning that the IEC connector would be defective, but had run out of ideas. Pulling the fuse holder entirely out of the housing instantly reminded me that there is a bracket that isn't as visible unless the holder is completely removed. The reading was then 123.5 volts. Thank you for the insight!

John