Resistance Test Failure [resolved]

[email protected] · 643

Offline [email protected]

on: December 17, 2023, 07:34:03 PM
I built my base crack last year have been using it and recently decided to install the speedball upgrade. Before getting started, I was rechecking the base resistance and am getting 2.5 ohm readings on terminals 6 and 10. I have reflowed the joints at the the terminals and on the headphone jack but it has not made a difference. I remember passing the resistance and voltage tests when I first built it, so this is a surprise. It seems to have been working normally, but maybe it hasn't been completely safe to use?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 05:44:03 AM by Paul Birkeland »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 07:37:25 PM
How old is your Crack? (does it have a PT-3 or PT-10 power transformer?)

2.5K would be normal on a Crack with a PT-3.  2.5 ohms isn't exactly the end of the world for a Crack with a PT-10, as that's still very close to 0. 

It is also not uncommon to find one black wire on the headphone jack not well captured by solder, so that's always something to look at as well.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023, 07:47:32 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! It is the model with the PT-10. Would it be safe to proceed to the voltage check?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2023, 08:13:22 PM
Yes, just be sure to double check that it's not actually 2.5K.  If you have a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter plugged into the HP jack, that will also give you 2.5K at those terminals.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Reply #4 on: December 17, 2023, 08:18:38 PM
It was the headphone jack adapter! That was it. Thank you so much!