Other Gear > Speakers

Compression Driver Throat Screen

<< < (2/4) > >>

Paul Joppa:
Great! Thanks for posting your results. Your description of the effect matches pretty well with the pipe-resonance effect (a comb filter). Can you estimate the path length between diaphragm and where the mesh was?

Deluk:
Yesterday I was reading this. https://sites.google.com/view/mpbs-ls35a-project
At the end there is comparison between the tweeter with and without the perforated dome. Having the dome looks to be beneficial. Yes, a different speaker and tweeter, but a similar situation.

Take care everyone. Obey the rules and stay safe.

Jamier:
PJ, from the apex of the dome to the mesh, about 2.5 inches. Next time I have the baffles off I’ll remove the back covers and get a more exact figure. The mesh is not made from smooth round wire. It’s a flat wire, and has a pattern that makes it look like a miniature chain link fence. I’ll post some before/after pictures when I can. The total surface area of the mesh is fairly significant and, as such, I really expected a more audible effect from it’s removal. The other CDs I have are PSD-2013s. Those screens look to be more securely attached, so I don’t think that I will try to remove those.

@Deluk, I read that article, thanks for that. It’s kinda’ similar except that the LS’s have a conventional dome tweeter mounted on the baffle, so the dome is radiating some of it’s output across the baffle face. This CD dome is inverted and radiating it’s output into a horn. The dome is well behind the baffle and radiating almost none of it’s output across the battle face. In my mind this helps to explain why the grid of the LS’s could boost output in some frequencies.

Jamie

Jamier:
PJ (and anyone else interested ), here are the with/without grid plus O-ring photos:
Edit: The O-ring doesn’t look that dirty in a live observation. I guess I ought to clean those things with some alcohol, but I can’t get any at the moment. The stores around here are all sold out. F#*%+’n hoarders!

Jamie

Jamier:
PJ, how do you apply the diaphragm to screen measurement to determine the frequencies that might be filtered out by the screen?

Jamie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version