Bottlehead Kits > Smash

Smash Microphonics

<< < (2/5) > >>

rogerfederer:
i have already bought 2 extra pairs of 4P1Ls and 2 extra OD3s.  they can't all be bad.

i have taken it out and will get around to checking all the voltages again.  maybe there is a wiring issue?

Grainger49:
There are just too many Smashes out there for it to be the design.  It has to be something about your setup. 

What are the components, source to speakers, in your system.  Is the Smash sitting on something flexible? 

I doubt that a wiring mistake has caused this problem.  I agree, going through 2 sets of 4P1Ls says it isn't the supplied tubes.  Keep with us, your problem can be solved!

Paul Birkeland:
Can you post a photo of how things are laid out in the room? I'd also second the idea of adding mass to the chassis and squishy-ness  under it.

Additionally, having a ton of gain after the Smash with sensitive speakers is another potential issue (alluded to by Grainger's questions) .

-PB

rogerfederer:
it is now out of the room.  given up on it for now in that rig.  i'm trying to figure out if it can go somewhere else.  this issue really is limiting. 

i had 24db attenuators between the pre and the amp so that should have reduced the sensitive speakers issue.

galyons:

--- Quote from: Caucasian Blackplate on March 19, 2015, 10:25:14 AM ---
Additionally, having a ton of gain after the Smash with sensitive speakers is another potential issue (alluded to by Grainger's questions) .
-PB

--- End quote ---

I go from Smash/UP to Paramount 300B, with 6CG7 drivers, to 102dB/1W/1M 3w-way horns.  My Paramounts are  lower gain then original version or V1.1. (My guess would be an input of about .4v for full power.)

I concur with PB...mass and isolation.  I  live on a steep hillside in a 2 story wood framed/sided house, (actually 3 stories downslope). Doors closing, footfalls and general activity all play havoc on the music system.  I had to do extensive, wall mounted isolation and  mass loading of my turntable shelf! I have a rack with sand filled supports, spiked shelves and soft feet under the Smash.  No microphonic issues from environmental feedback.  I will design better mass loading than what I am currently using, plus add isolation for the tube sockets and switches. But that is to address the microphonics when switching volume and source.

Cheers,
Geary

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version