Need more Gain Foreplay III Extended

Pilot_dude · 1878

Offline Pilot_dude

on: December 24, 2011, 03:04:08 AM

My first post so be kind, I recently purchased the preamp used. It came with no manual. I tried to find a link on the site to purchase one but couldn't find anything.

My plan is to use the foreplay with my Leak ST 50 most of the time but occasionally subbing it in for a Pilot SP-210 paired with either a  SA232/SA260.

Currently, the volume levels using the Foreplay are less than ideal. I have to dial the volume control to 12-1 o'clock to obtain listening levels comparable to my other preamp.

I love the foreplay just hoping to get more out of it.

Happy Holidays,

Bryan

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 04:02:35 AM
This is a thread title that I never thought I would see.  The FP III has a lot of gain.  The posts are usually about reducing the gain.

On Monday or Tuesday you can call Bottlehead Headquarters and order a manual.  To get to the "Contact Information" click on the Bottlehead badge in the upper left of any page and there is a selection in the list for contact information.

If the FP gives satisfying volume before you reach the 3:00 position you are fine.  The absolute position doesn't matter.  The information below applies:

Since I don't know your level of expertise, flip it over, look in the center of the front where the selector switch is.  There are terminal strips with an array of resistors feeding the inputs into  the selector switch.  Each input has a reducing resistor.  Look between the terminal strips and the selector switch.  The stock resistors are 15k (correction, 33k) ohms.  It is possible the value has been increased which reduces the output.  The gain actually remains the same.  

If there is no input with a 33k ohm resistor then get a pair of 33k, or even 10k resistor, and try them.  

What you need to try is an input with a pair, right and left are on opposite sided, of 33k ohm resistors.  See if this helps.  
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 12:16:35 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 05:38:20 AM
The stock (standard) resistors are 33K. Other values supplied with the kit are 80.6K, 182K, and 360K - providing an extra 6, 12, and 18dB reduction. The previous owner may have done this substitution on one or more inputs.

The switched level controls have a smaller range than the usual volume controls - that's one of the compromises that makes it affordable. Consequently, the best setup would have the normal listening level 2, 3, or 4 clicks below the maximum for maximum flexibility. That is, as Grainger suggests, about 3:00. Three clicks margin gives you an extra 9dB for the rare occasions you might need it - that's usually more than enough.

Paul Joppa

Offline Pilot_dude

Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 07:24:30 AM
Thanks you both, that is the exact info i was after.

I will call in the year for the manual and in the meantime I will be playing with resistor values.

Bryan