Pono player anyone?

Zimmer64 · 4582

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
on: March 13, 2014, 09:07:24 AM
Hi guys,

Has anyone followed Neil Young's Pono player announcement this week? What do you guys think about it?

Best

Michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 06:35:39 PM
I read about this with keen interest, as musicians usually have pretty discerning ears. I got a Dragonfly to use as a DAC from my MacBook Pro to the BH Customs Linestage. Now I am thinking about PONO as an alternative. We'll see, and what an intriguing way to front the $$ for a new form of digital delivery! I have contributed to several Kickstarter projects, so this one was interesting to see.

Better ears than mine will have to chime in on this one.

Cheers, Hank in Eugene

Offline denti alligator

Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 02:53:18 AM
Isn't it just a flac player? Kinda disappointing after all the hype.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Tubejack

Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 04:05:14 AM
I did support the Kickstart effort with $300 for a "standard" player (ETD Oct) with no special musician signatures (the $400 model).  I have over 10,000 FLAC files, many hi rez (192/24) from the likes of HDTracks, etc., and have been disappointed in the current genre of portable FLAC players, like the Fiio X3 - love the Wolfson WM8740 but the user interface leaves a bit to be desired.

I appreciate the movement to better PCM and maybe even DSD someday, as the current state of most portable systems, and even higher end home DAC's, etc, have fueled my continued investments in vinyl and analog tape (and Bottlehead products).  Just seemed like I needed to put my $ where my beliefs are .....

http://www.ponomusic.com/#home

There are 10 types of people in this world,
Those that understand Binary and those that Don't!

Offline denti alligator

Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 09:25:46 AM
What's the DAC in it? I have close to 130k FLAC files. No portable unit besides an old iPod, for which I convert to V0. On such a device you can't hear the difference. Now, with a good DAC that might be another story.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Tubejack

Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 10:19:32 AM

There are 10 types of people in this world,
Those that understand Binary and those that Don't!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 12:24:55 PM
"...serious criticisms about the value of high resolution audio to the listener."

It feels so good to have watchdogs like that out there making sure I don't slip up and do something dumb like listen and make my own decision.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Yoder

Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 01:21:28 PM
... have been disappointed in the current genre of portable FLAC players, like the Fiio X3 - love the Wolfson WM8740 but the user interface leaves a bit to be desired.

For the money the FiiO X3 is good enough for me. I like to get away from the GUI once in awhile, and like the old school scroll method used by the X3's OS. It does everything I would want from a portable, and it is a lot easier to import and export files than what is found on any Apple product.

Regarding the Pono, there is a lot of controversy around it. The biggest I guess is when Young comes out and says he is doing it to keep the musical experience pure, but when asked what his profit share was the press conference was quickly aborted (he is getting 30%). Here is an interesting Rolling Stones article on it and the video is a who's who in the rock-n-roll business advertisement http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/neil-young-recruits-bruce-springsteen-dave-grohl-for-pono-kickstarter-20140311 The good thing is that a lot of audio libraries will be converted to hi-rez digital.

Then there is always the other side that thinks the Redbook codec is plenty good: https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html. Just some balance...

Offline PS2500

Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 03:09:44 AM
"Regarding the Pono, there is a lot of controversy around it. The biggest I guess is when Young comes out and says he is doing it to keep the musical experience pure, but when asked what his profit share was the press conference was quickly aborted (he is getting 30%)"

Where's that information coming from? Both claims.

It's obvious what you're trying to say there: Young has a heavy financial interest in the project but is too shifty to let people know about that and would sabotage a press conference (presumably arranged by him) to avoid uncomfortable questions from discerning cats like you and me. What a hypocrite, man.

Is that really how it went down? I'm prejudiced toward thinking this is tedious, somewhat exaggerated gossip.

On the wider topic, his contribution to getting people to try out different ways of listening to their music instead of sticking with good old CD and mp3 is hard to deny. Not many people take issue with the work he's done on his own back catalogue, there's general agreement that it comes out sounding pretty damn good, but without over-restoration.

I'd like to see the Pono contribute something positive to the music scene, and the way people listen, but I have doubts about whether there is really much of a market for it - ultimately, it's probably going to look like just another music player (but with an awkward shape and none of the cachet of an iPod) coupled with a download service. We'll have to see.

My hopes are that it can survive alongside what's already out there: too many people see everything as either/or: 16/44 is good enough for the human ear, so no need for 24/192; iPod/iPhone + iTunes is all you need for your music; why buy whole albums when you can buy just buy individual tracks at 0.99, etc. Those are the people who think a project like the Pono can't survive and shouldn't survive. I prefer to think that while iTunes and Apple do indeed have a stranglehold on music, there is plenty else going on out there, some people are really into exploring higher quality options and hooking up good DACs and systems to their PC, others want a completely separate audio system, still others want nothing to do with digital at all. In a way, there's never been a more interesting time to be into music, you can really settle for whichever options you want, and if it's vinyl only, so be it. In that sense, the Pono could occupy a healthy little niche. I don't imagine it's going to be a runaway success, but a modest success? I'd settle for that.

The digital market of today has made things a lot more fragmented than it was in the 1980s when it really was just vinyl/CD/cassette, but the fragmentation isn't necessarily a bad thing. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 04:07:48 AM by PS2500 »