Blumenstein Ultra Fi

Doc B. · 234007

Offline xcortes

Reply #555 on: March 16, 2014, 07:47:27 AM
I have a 103 without the D. I run it through an onkyo processor. Maybe I should try direct. Thanks

Xavier Cortes

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #556 on: March 16, 2014, 08:19:51 AM
Yes, give it a try. I was pretty impressed by the sound quality, at least relative to the old Extigy I was using before. And as I say I wouldn't be too concerned about the Darbee. It's one of those things that you have to use at such a subtle level that it might not really be worth it. If you turn it up it looks like a bad case of photoshop sharpening control. The place it seems to have the greatest effect is in sharpening background images. Which is of course rather dubious considering that the cinematographer is often blurring the background elements on purpose! But it does also seem to help edges a little, which is nice with the CRT. I guess there are some fine adjustments for it that I have yet to try.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline xcortes

Reply #557 on: March 16, 2014, 10:50:54 AM
Ok. Off goes the onkyo. The oppo has two sets of hdmi inputs to connect other sources. I'm not in love with the idea of a digital volume control (I guess the onkyo is digital too). I have to build me a six channel Quickie or even a passive "ingot". Moreover since the idea is to buy one of the cards that allows the oppor to send digital audio to three dacs. I need three BH dacs!

Xavier Cortes

Offline Molly B

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #558 on: March 22, 2014, 05:20:16 PM
Hi all,

Thanks to all the current Orca owners who are now on board for an upgrade to the Orca Deluxe. We're beginning shipping of those orders later this coming week and into the following and we hope that you all can share your impressions once you've received your set.

Our Orca Classic and Dungeness was reviewed by Jeff Dorgay in the March issue of TONEAudio Magazine. Check it out!

http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_062.pdf

Molly Blumenstein | Blumenstein Audio

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #559 on: March 23, 2014, 03:50:21 AM
Now that we have it pretty well complete we will have an open house so folks can come by and see how well Bottlehead and Blumenstein do HT.

That'd be really fun, Dan, just let us know the day you were thinking.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #560 on: March 23, 2014, 05:40:08 AM
April 12th is looking pretty good for us. The room is small, we can maybe squeeze in four at a time. So we might have to demo in shifts. I was thinking sort of an open house thing, just playing some samples from various movies and maybe stream something from a concert. Maybe from 1 to 4?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Clark B.

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #561 on: March 24, 2014, 10:31:55 AM
April 12th is looking pretty good for us.... Maybe from 1 to 4?

Sounds great, Dan!  You can count us in.  Please let me know if we can bring anything along.  At home we watch movies on a laptop sat on the fireplace ledge in front of the couch and we pump the sound through a 15' long 1/8th inch extension cable into the sex amp which drives a 2.1 system of orcas and a single dungeness that are all set up high on top of the fireplace and tall bookcase.  This tall placement gives a nice ambient "pseudo surround" effect.  It works great for our livingroom which otherwise does not have a logical place for a screen or even a flat panel tv.

But gosh its been so long since I've had a complete high fidelity (both visual and sound) home theater experience like yours so i'm thinking that i'm probably going to have my mind blown.  Maybe I should dig out my copy of Koyaanisqatsi?

Clark

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #562 on: March 25, 2014, 04:06:54 AM
Koyaanisqatsi

The most moving, motivating film. I think i still have the vinyl?

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline bobster

Reply #563 on: April 25, 2014, 04:33:41 AM
Okay - now I have a choice to make. 

Pair of Orca Deluxe or Pair of Orca Classic plus Dungeness Subwoofer. 

Any thoughts about pros or cons to either appreciated.

Thank you.

Bob

Bob Musson
Seduction (extended), Foreplay, Paramours, Klipsch Heresys, Orcas, Crack plus HD 600s
Lovin the Bottlehead sound in Maryland

Offline Clark B.

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #564 on: April 28, 2014, 08:10:33 AM
Hi Bob,

That's a great question and I just got an email from a fellow with the same question, so I thought I'd share my response with him here as well:

First, I'd like to point out that a Birch Dungeness can pair with an Orca Deluxe; the Birch Dungeness has the same exact tuning point as the bamboo and the construction is the same (meaning, you're not going to hear the differences between the two cabinets like with the Orca Classic v. Deluxe and the price difference between the two subwoofer choices largely reflects the difference in material cost and machining).

I understand the preference to not have an extra cabinet for the sub, but we also have a lot of customers using the Dungeness tucked away under a piece of furniture and out of the way.

The extra clarity of the midrange and high frequencies is why you'd opt for the Deluxe. The Deluxe makes slightly better quality bass but a barely measurable difference from the birch.

The Orcas go down to 75 Hz, so they do great with light and hard rock for example, but the weight of the bass isn't as prominent. Even some of the ultra low bass is slightly audible, but again, just not as present.

So adding a Dungeness is going to not only up the frequency response (down to 35Hz - or, an octave extra of bass) but also is going to add presence of bass, so yes, it is a noticeable addition. If you don't classify yourself as a "bass head" though, the Orcas alone might do you quite well, and the Deluxe has better definition in this area than the Classic.

I hope that helps clarify things a bit more, and maybe some Orca and Dungeness owners can chime in as well with their opinions.

Cheers,

Clark

Offline Grainger49

Reply #565 on: May 09, 2014, 08:24:05 AM
Dragging out some old favorites today.  One of my early CD purchases was Flim& the BB's Tricycle.

I remember my first listen to this album.  A buddy at work lent me the disk and I was listening on headsets.  About 15s into it there is a transient which clapped my ear drums together in the center of my head.  I wasn't warned about how dynamic it was.

I didn't get my ear drums clapped together today because I was cautious.  But the Orca/Dungeness combo did a wonderful job of reproducing this early digital recording. 

Oddly, an American recording/mastering it preserves absolute phase.

Offline Clark B.

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #566 on: May 24, 2014, 10:08:08 AM
Hi folks, we are currently offering introductory pricing on the Mola's 

http://www.blumensteinaudio.com/mola-fullrange/

Its a great time to hop on board!

Enjoy the Memorial day weekend!

Clark

Offline Molly B

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #567 on: June 06, 2014, 11:08:42 AM
Things have been a little quiet around here and I hope that means everyone has been having a great start to the summer!

We're trying to take advantage of the lull by taking some time to clear out the b-stock and overstock we have around the shop. We'll be adding some more over the next few days, but for now here is what we have listed:

http://www.blumensteinaudio.com/on-sale/

Also, for the locals, something we have been meaning to mention:

We're having an Open House tomorrow, Saturday June 7th, from 1:00-6:00 or 7:00pm (depending on how late folks want to stay). We've been having these every now and again so as to demo the new Mola speakers, as well as Orcas and Dungeness, to groups of folks as well as taking individual appointments.  And if you can't make our open houses, do feel free to schedule a time to come by on your own during a weekend evening - we'd love to have you! Clark always has a few pieces of oddball audio gear for sale as well.

Enjoy!

Molly
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 12:34:02 PM by Molly B »

Molly Blumenstein | Blumenstein Audio

Offline Grainger49

Reply #568 on: June 07, 2014, 02:43:02 AM
Between Bottlehead and Blumenstein you guys make me want to move to the PNW.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #569 on: June 08, 2014, 07:25:25 AM
Any more Deluxe owners out there? Haven't seen any in use pics yet!

Aaron Johnson