Blumenstein Ultra Fi

Doc B. · 234017

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #600 on: September 13, 2014, 07:12:04 PM
Glenn W,  The birch stands are sand fillable, so they can be made to be inert like the bamboo stands, actually.  I personally think that birch and chocolate are a wonderful color combination.  Alot like the classic Walnut and birch combination in alot of furniture construction.  You would be very happy with a system like this, I am sure!  They are imaging kings, and aren't half bad at making big bass and dynamics as well, within their available volume range of course.  The speakers' design is that they actually benefit from being small.  Less wood/stuff to resonate in the first place, true point source, and good genre handling, musically speaking.

Paul J, Grainger and Thomas, I think the quickie/quicksand and Thrashers would be a super fun combo.  4 watts is great with them.  It won't quite disco, but it would get pretty close!

OT - As a bit of personal bragging, today I just completed a "Weenie" 30 mile/3400 ft. elevation ride in the Passport2Pain.org this weekend...on a skateboard.  I was worried a bit because of the lack of training as I've been so busy 24/7 in the shop lately, but it turns out that physical work like that keeps you in good enough shape to do big rides like this afterall.  I was the first skateboarder to do the ride, and they were supportive of me even though they thought that I was being completely ridiculous to do such a steep and constant up/down ride like that!

Also, we have been producing and shipping more quickly and efficiently lately because of some additional personelle on staff and are about to get our order board down quite a bit.  We already have a few pairs of things in stock as well.  Chocolate Orcas and Dungeness, Birch Classic Orcas, and even our new desktop wedges as well.  Makos will be in stock soon as well once we are done delivering the rest of them that have been coming through the shop.  Photos on the way soon!

-Clark

Offline Clark B.

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #601 on: September 25, 2014, 09:24:25 AM
Hi folks!  We just added a new model, the Orca Mini, to the store for $299/pr.  We are also currently running a giveaway contest on Facebook for a pair of them if you like and share our photo by Sunday.  These speakers are simple, but handle complicated music with ease.  They are tiny, fun, and flat.  Very solid desktop reference monitors when there isn't enough space or budget for the Orca Classics or Deluxe, and they wrk with low power SET nicely as well.

Also, the Mola's and Mako's have been coming together extremely nicely, and we have been shipping them regularly and are catching up on our backlog, so if you are interested, then just drop me a line. 

Cheers!

-Clark

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #602 on: September 25, 2014, 09:43:47 AM
You have my attention Clark. I've been thinking about a new set of speakers for my computer. I even have a S.E.X. amp I'm building that should pair nicely with the mini's. Is there any way us "Non-Facebook" types can enter the contest?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #603 on: September 25, 2014, 10:13:51 AM
You have my attention Clark. I've been thinking about a new set of speakers for my computer. I even have a S.E.X. amp I'm building that should pair nicely with the mini's. Is there any way us "Non-Facebook" types can enter the contest?

The contest is framed around the notion that you enter by sharing the announcement with your friends on Facebook. Thus you help out Blumenstein Audio by spreading the word, and they will pick a winner from those who participated in the sharing. Facebook is free and easy to join, so it's really pretty easy to enter.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #604 on: September 25, 2014, 06:19:03 PM
The contest is framed around the notion that you enter by sharing the announcement with your friends on Facebook. Thus you help out Blumenstein Audio by spreading the word, and they will pick a winner from those who participated in the sharing. Facebook is free and easy to join, so it's really pretty easy to enter.

Yeah, I get it. I still have no intention of caving to the facebook craze. My loss I guess, no big deal. Regardless, this new product from Clark and Molly is exciting. And I'll still spread the word in my old school sort of way, like talking to people.

Offline kumasan

Reply #605 on: October 02, 2014, 03:05:18 AM
I see there's a new model the MAKO fullrange and that the MOLA have been discontinued after a short existence. Cabinet size seems the same as far as I can remember but the driver is mounted in the center of the baffel on the MAKO. Why was the MOLA discontinued and what's the sonic difference between the MOLA and the MAKO fullrange?

Offline EarWorm

Reply #606 on: October 02, 2014, 05:58:57 AM

Don't be so hard on Facebook.  I won a pair of  Von Schweikert UniField One speakers on it.

That's a 4K grin.

BTW. The acoustic panels, the equipment rack, and the speaker stands are all DIY. This is a dedicated room I was building and then like magic these speakers showed up at my door reinforcing the phrase " if you build it they will come".

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 06:09:56 AM by EarWorm »

Sony 8FC-69WA AM/FM Digimatic Flip Clock Radio Circa 1971. 
1962 RCA Victor 4 Volt Superheterodyne AM Radio With ear Jack & plastic ivory ear piece.   What?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #607 on: October 02, 2014, 08:23:44 AM
The speaker stands really made me smile.  They should be pretty dead.

Offline Clark B.

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #608 on: October 04, 2014, 07:19:48 PM
I see there's a new model the MAKO fullrange and that the MOLA have been discontinued after a short existence. Cabinet size seems the same as far as I can remember but the driver is mounted in the center of the baffel on the MAKO. Why was the MOLA discontinued and what's the sonic difference between the MOLA and the MAKO fullrange?

Hi there, Kumasan! Good eye! We changed the driver position of the Mola Fullrange and then called it the Mako Fullrange (the driver is not quite centered.  A "Mako Center Channel" does, however, have a centered driver placement).  Otherwise its essentially the same cabinet as the Mola was.  The Mako Fullrange is just the top half of a Mako Floorstander cabinet. 

Best,

-Clark
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 07:26:02 PM by Clark B. »

Offline Mike F1

• Flyball Equipmemt
Reply #609 on: October 19, 2014, 03:29:33 PM
Clark, have you ever experimented with the FE103?

I have a pair that used in a 1/4 wave pipe. I really wasn't that happy with the enclosure.

Been thinking of trying Fostex recommend 6L vented box. 
Any thoughts on that?

I have a set of 2A3 Paramours with MagneQuest Iron. (I'd be running them with a 150W 12" powered sub)

Thanks for your time!

Mike

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #610 on: October 19, 2014, 03:41:22 PM
I'll be interested in Clark's comments for sure!!

A quick look at the software, corrected for a SET, suggests to be something bigger, maybe 12-15 liters.

Paul Joppa

Offline rjbond3rd

Reply #611 on: October 21, 2014, 12:48:37 PM
Hi Paul,

In obtaining ~12-15 liters, may I ask if you're simply adding some series resistance, or are there other considerations?  (If series resistance, may I ask how much you would add for the S.E.X.?)  Thank you very much in advance.

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #612 on: October 21, 2014, 06:16:11 PM
In the ancient software I use (boxplot) I just increase the QE by 50%; this is equivalent to a damping factor of 2 in the amplifier and is a pretty reasonable approximation for all SETs with no feedback.

There are so many other variables that I don't offer this as a design, just an interesting starting point for exploration. IIRC the infinite-damping solution gave a much smaller box, 4.5 liters(?) which shows what a difference the assumption makes! Also IIRC 100Hz bass with no damping and the small box, 50Hz with the big box and SET damping. The octave between 50-100Hz is audible ...  :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline rjbond3rd

Reply #613 on: October 22, 2014, 09:07:20 AM
Aha, okay I can see it's similar to (or is) an EBS type of box. This would be interesting on a wall-mounted shelf (to see to what degree the room gain fills in the shelf). Thank you for the damping factor / Qe tip!  I appreciate it.

Offline grausch

Reply #614 on: October 22, 2014, 10:30:05 AM
Ok, so after discovering Bottlehead's products and Blumenstein Orcas in late 2012 / early 2013, I can finally post this pic of my living-room stereo.

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F68iqU5u.jpg&hash=7933f5036a3fcf018744f8e160ade7047e35f18b)

This has been an 18 month journey that is now almost complete. Just need to properly finish the base on the Stereomour.

A couple of posts ago, I questioned how the Orcas with their smaller volume can have lower bass than the Fostex enclosure. I still don't have an answer to that question, but can report that the Orcas are not lacking in bass at all. I am wondering how much improvement, if any, the Dungeness will actually lend to the system.

I placed the Orcas as close to the wall as I could, without having undue tension on the speaker cables, and they are ~3 inches away from the wall. Listened to Freebird, Sweet Child o' Mine, Mr. Crowley and Ain't Talking About Love. I can say the the bass lines and mids are beautifully balanced. I used to play guitar and noodle around on the bass, and just love the way those two instruments are represented. Vocals also sound great. Can't really comment on the drums as I don't really listen for that.

The Orcas with the Stereomour really go well with this type of rock. Haven't tried some Iron Maiden yet, but think this combo will just rock that as well. This is my first high-end sound system, but I have heard some 3-way B&Ws in the past. The Orcas aren't as loud, but they have great tone and instrument separation is just as good. And the Orcas look much, much better than the B&Ws to boot.

All-in-all very happy with my purchase, and wish I had more time to listen to some music...

Update: Listened to some Iron Maiden, Albert King & SRV and Dire Straits. All of it is handled extremely well. I just love the way the bass & mids are represented. Volume can go louder than I care for, and I have not turned these up all the way yet.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 09:09:47 PM by grausch »

Gunter Rausch

Modded Bottlehead Crack
Modded Stereomour with Two-tone Orcas