Blumenstein Ultra Fi

Doc B. · 234012

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #660 on: September 01, 2015, 02:24:52 AM
I would be interested to know if anyone here has a pair of thrashers as their daily speakers. Seems like most users here have the Orcas but I haven't seem much on the web about them.

Best,
Thomas

Offline Horatio

Reply #661 on: September 02, 2015, 05:44:18 PM
I have pair of Thrashers hooked up to my Stereomour, they sound fantastic and easily fill a good sized room. In fact my partner reckons she prefers the sound of the Stereomour + Thrashers to our Orca's + Sub... Not sure I would go quite so far as to agree with that assessment but I would have absolutely no hesitation recommending you pick up a set of Thrashers if you had the opportunity...

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #662 on: September 03, 2015, 03:51:32 AM
Thanks for the response.
I also have the Stereomour so I'm glad youre getting good sound from it driven by the Thrashers.

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #663 on: September 08, 2015, 12:44:13 PM
Can anyone comment on Orca Mini vs Deluxe (and with/without sub/s) driven by Stereomour II or SEX 2.0?

Thanks for chiming in, folks!

Denti's question for a comparison might be a little more complicated, so I'll handle it.

Firstly, it is important to bear in mind that either the Deluxes or Mini's would work great with either the Sex (2.1 did you mean?) or Stereomour II - and that the viability of these combos is echoed by users' experiences on this forum and elsewhere.

The Deluxes are happy at a slightly lower playback level and are a little creamier in tone, whereas the Mini's are a little more bright and slightly more direct and neutral sounding and have slightly flatter frequency response, but do trade off a little bit of mid bass weight. 

Both speakers have their own kind of magic, of course.    These differences are intentionally very slight.

I consider our brand to be like a good selection of wine - you'll like each variety or blend for a particular reason, and each has a reason/purpose, even if that is to just be mostly balanced in flavor.  Yes, that probably sounds like a hooty tooty explaination to some people but so what.  :)

Best,

Clark

Offline denti alligator

Reply #664 on: September 08, 2015, 03:25:25 PM
the Sex (2.1 did you mean?)
Thanks, Clark!

I have the 2.0 with MagneQuest All-nickel iron. I'm seriously considering a Stereomour as an upgrade, using the SEX as a headphone amp.

So if I understand you right:

Mini: brighter, more neutral, better mid-range bass

Deluxe: smoother, sound good at low levels

What about the sub?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Clark B.

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #665 on: September 11, 2015, 06:28:18 AM
Denti, I would add:

We know that most listeners out there know themselves well enough to prefer either a warmer and more liquid sound, or a slightly leaner/simply neutral kind of presentation.  Or they might need to play things very loud on occasion, but still need warm response all the time.

So we give people the choice between three different optimized single driver fullrange models that each have their own unique capabilities suited to different cultures of listening or different spots in the house, car, sailboat, camper, or outdoor awning, etc. that we have encountered over the years.

Each speaker model has additionally had its moving parts/cone suspension and frequency response tuned to match the average frequency response of the human ear within the volume range/intended use of each respective speaker model. 

3" Orca Deluxes: Best at the lowest volumes up to carefully pushed high volumes.
3" Orca Mini's: Can be pushed ever so slightly harder than that
8" Thrashers: Are the loudest, most efficient speakers we make.

The Thrasher, if anyone was curious, has been designed to sound kindof like a gigantic Orca Deluxe.  Thrashers can also be paired with a sub(s) below 40-50hz to some benefit.  The Orca Deluxe still is king of its own kind of refinement, of course.  But for people wanting to also be able to really crank it off of either high or low wattage, the Thrasher should be strongly considered.

However, please too understand that if 95+% of your listening is within low to medium volume levels, (and that when cranked up, cranked gently), that the Orca Deluxe or Orca Mini have been designed specifically for that 95% of listening levels that we find the majority of people actually doing out there.  And because the Orcas are tuned for this uncommonly considered, but commonly experienced low volume performance (literally, the "silent majority" of music listeners), then the Orcas are therefore slightly superior speakers to the Thrashers within those volume ranges.   Horses for courses. 

Also, the Deluxes and Mini's, being so physically small in footprint, are better at portraying an accurate soundstage at lower volumes than typical speakers are capable of, and do also have the more ideal impulse response, dispersion, imaging traits than a larger speaker which are important at any volume level. 

Its also important to understand that the Mini's and Deluxes can probably be pushed much harder and remain much cleaner than one might think, given an optimized audio system and associated subwoofer(s).  Even compared to the Thrashers, the Mini's and Deluxes are respectably loud.  Not your typical wimpy little 3" design in. the. slightest.  I still find myself caught by surprise at the high volume performance of the Deluxes and Mini's when carefully driven and warmed up during a long listening session. 

The first audible difference that people tend to pick up on (in my showroom) between the Mini and Deluxe when used without a subwoofer is the bass rolloff point, which is 10 hz higher for the Mini. 

However, with a subwoofer, this difference in bass response between the Mini and Deluxe is significantly less apparent.  The Deluxes use a little less of the sub, and so too the Deluxes seem to handle just a little bit less power than the Mini's (because the Deluxe cone is being asked to go lower, and it is also of a more delicate construction than the Mini cone).    The Mini's is having more of its bass response supported by the subwoofer, and therefore can "lean" on the power of the subwoofer a little more and gain slightly extra upper volume capability than the Deluxe in that way as well.

The Mini's also have a slightly beefier voice coil and slightly stiffer cone suspension that can take a few more watts.  The magnet is also slightly more powerful.  The middle of the midrange is almost pancake flat, which lends the speaker very well to multimedia and monitoring of difficult music in the closest nearfield.

However, understand that the unconventional delicacy in cone material and cone suspension is key to the Deluxe's openness and dynamics, juxtaposed with their extreme delicacy and transparency at low to medium and slightly high volumes.  The Deluxes also have a little more mid bass.  which is a warmer "creamier" and more classic audio sound.  The Mini's are a little bit more of a crisper, "modern" neutral sound.

Yet all of these differences are both important and slight!

Why?

In college, I was a music history major who wrote a thesis on the development of early keyboard instruments in conjunction with unequal temperaments.   This involved the evolution of harmonic scale, bigger dynamics being written into the scores by composers, bigger dynamics needing to be played by the instruments, and so forth until primary musical instrument design (piano/violin) slowed down and piano production became more antique and nostalgic and less innovation (alot like most "blah" speaker designs out there these days). 

But there is still hope.  For instance, there are still some small modern piano makers of all sorts out there...way smaller than Steinway.  For instance, some of them like Fazioli are pushing design boundaries.  There are other, even smaller makers who are really pushing physics and materials science.  These makers are huge influences on me as a designer.  It takes immense courage to push innovation within classic, campy design or scientific communities.  The many varied stories of success and solution fascinate me. 

Since college, I am an avid consumer of modern music and media as well.  Relating this music research background to the audio realm, I am not entirely unqualified for the task of having created this lineup of speakers that # 1 works with the actual music and media that is out there, and #2 are ergonomic in design for both the ear and living space, just as musical instruments should sound and feel good.   

In short, as music changes, so do the instruments of its play.  Which is the real reason behind your choice between a more historically leaning "classic" sound (Deluxe/Thrasher) or a more futuristic "modern" sound (Mini) within our product line.

I hope all that explaination helps!

Cheers,

Clark

P.S. subs in another post! 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 07:37:25 AM by Clark B. »

Offline thdewitt

Reply #666 on: September 11, 2015, 06:50:21 AM
Great post Clark.  I enjoyed reading this very much.  I personally own Orca Delux, Orca Mini, dungeness sub, and Mako Floorstanders so I like hearing how they fit together in the line up. 

Also, my daughter loves the Orca Minis you signed for her birthday. She will enjoy them for many years.  She has attended the Grammy Foundation camp for the last 2 years and hopes to be involved in music production so I think she will appreciate them more and more as time goes on. 

(https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38833957/Kayla%20at%20board.jpg)

Thanks
Tom DeWitt
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 07:14:03 AM by thdewitt »

Eros Telefunken EF806S and Telefunken E88CC
BeePre JJ 300B
Paramount 1.1 EH 300B
Stereomour JJ 2a3-40 and Mullard CV4024
Crack Tung Sol 5998  Mullard CV 4003
Thorens TD 160 Super (Vinyl Nirvana)
Blumenstein Orca Deluxe/Dungenus Sub
Blumenstein Mako Floorstanders Chocolate Bamboo

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #667 on: September 15, 2015, 03:48:17 AM
Awesome post Clark, thanks for sharing your reasoning behind the development of the various Blumenstein models.  I like how the same technologies behind the Orcas can be scaled up to the Thrashers or down to the size of the Mini. 

It also interesting how the cone material comes into play with various types of music/media during playback.

One of the reasons I got into headphones was discovering how each one has different signatures which benefited various genres of music.  Some of my favorite headphones and speakers have been what I consider to be generalists, able to playback everything I throw at them with satisfying results.  I've felt that the Orca's musical and gentle nature allow them to shine with the vast majority of music which I've fed them.

There's always room for more innovation so keep on experimenting.

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #668 on: November 11, 2015, 02:55:36 AM
BTW I see there are big changes happening to the Blumenstein site!  Clark is one busy dude.

Offline caffeinator

Reply #669 on: November 11, 2015, 03:18:16 AM
And Thrashers are reasonably beer-proof...or at least beer-resistant...don't ask me how I know...

Offline Skip Pack

Reply #670 on: November 11, 2015, 06:35:54 AM
And Thrashers are reasonably beer-proof...or at least beer-resistant...don't ask me how I know...

Bamboozled?

OT for Clark. WRT newer piano developments, Nils Frahm's release Solo was played on a Klavins M370 which Frahm says has 10 ft strings at the low end. It is apparently an upright built in-situ due to the size. A most enjoyable album.

Skip

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #671 on: November 11, 2015, 10:39:28 AM
I'm pretty sure a beer bath is part of the break in process for most speakers, or is that just a myth?

Offline Clark B.

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #672 on: November 27, 2015, 08:27:52 AM
Hi all, just a quick heads up that we did some major changes to our offerings over the last few weeks.  Its all new, cool, different (looks almost the same on the outside)!

Best,

Clark

Offline Clark B.

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #673 on: December 19, 2015, 09:45:40 AM
We've made some major changes to our designs at Blumenstein Audio in honor of our 10th year building speakers, cables, and audio accessories. 

The link below is a discussion about our new approach to speaker, accessory and cable building.  We also discuss the historic models that came prior. 

In the shop, we have caught everyone on the order board up to the new designs, and have been shipping them out safer than before with upgraded packaging materials.  Happy holidays!

http://www.blumensteinaudio.com/historic-models/

-Clark
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 09:52:49 AM by Clark B. »

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #674 on: January 04, 2016, 08:54:53 AM
I really like the new sub amplifier with the plate amp mounted on the rear of the module. I'm wondering if a stack consisting of an amp (bottom), Benthic (middle) and Orca (top) would put the Orca speaker at the same height as when using a stand. Thereby eliminating the need for a stand.

http://www.blumensteinaudio.com/all-products/dayton-outboard-subwoofer-amplifier

EDIT to add url.