Blumenstein Ultra Fi

Doc B. · 234012

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #735 on: October 14, 2016, 08:31:11 PM
The Klipsch is spec'd at 11dB more sensitive than the Fostex FE83. Those numbers are not easily compared because they don't include directivity - the Orca will put proportionately more energy into the reverberant field for the same on-axis SPL. That might account for 3dB, which still leaves an 8dB difference.

There's more to music than just loudness, though.  :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline denti alligator

Reply #736 on: October 15, 2016, 02:03:04 AM
There's more to music than just loudness, though.  :^)

I know, and I usually don't crank the Stereomour. But I'm worried that with the new room size plus lower sensitivity I would be dissatisfied.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #737 on: October 15, 2016, 06:08:58 AM
I'm considering replacing my Klipsch Forte IIs with Orcase, mainly because of space. To be able to put the speakers on a wall where I will have built-in bookcases will make a huge difference in my living room's layout.

I'm worried that the Orcas, however, will not offer the same volume as the Klipsch. I'm using a Stereomour II. Currently I can turn LPs all the way up and will want more. Will the Orcas be quieter?

Obviously bass won't be the same. Ideally I would add a Benthic Bass Unit, though I can't afford that. Indeed, I would need to sell my Klipsch to afford the Orcas. But I figure I could always add the Benthic.

Thoughts? The room is fiarly big (tall ceilings) and open.

The Orca's wont play quite as loud since they are a bit less sensitive then your current speakers. Since you already have to turn the Stereomour up all the way you might benefit from a little extra gain in your signal path. The least expensive way to do this is to add a Quickie in-between the Seduction and the Stereomour. This was discussed recently in another thread. 

Offline denti alligator

Reply #738 on: October 15, 2016, 11:23:26 AM
Well, I have a Quickie. Not in the chain right now.

I wonder how I'll feel about bass without subs. And then, when I can afford one, will one be enough?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #739 on: October 17, 2016, 03:16:12 PM
What does your source put out for signal level? If you're already clipping the input of the Stereomour, clipping it more with a Quickie may not help.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline denti alligator

Reply #740 on: October 17, 2016, 03:22:15 PM
What does your source put out for signal level? If you're already clipping the input of the Stereomour, clipping it more with a Quickie may not help.

How do I measure it? With CD and digital I'm fine. With phono I can max out the Steremour and still want more. This is only when I really want to crank it. For the most part I have the Stereomour knob turned 3/4 of the way up.

- Sam

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #741 on: October 17, 2016, 03:27:10 PM
Ah,  I see it in your signature.  A 0.4mV cartridge will leave you short of Redbook levels without some extra gain, which could be compensated for with the addition of the Quickie, maybe just on the phono input.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Adrian

Reply #742 on: November 01, 2016, 07:05:24 AM
I think the AT150MLX is a MM cart with 4mv output not 0.4mv.
Anywho....the suggestions for additional input gain (like a Quickee) might help.
Also, be wary of Paul's comment on excessive gain leading to clipping of the amp.

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline BNAL

Reply #743 on: December 03, 2016, 07:23:22 AM
I'm looking at getting a second pair of speakers for the office and thinking about the Marlins. I have the second gen Orcas in my main system and wanted to know if any one had both and could comment on the sound differences.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline BNAL

Reply #744 on: December 20, 2016, 04:19:54 PM
Well I finally got around to installing the DOF kit in my Orcas. While I was at it I picked up the limited production run Fostex Fe83-SOL drivers. The speakers have been burning in for the last couple of days. I plan to bring them down from my kids room this weekend after they have about 120 hours on them and see how they sound. I'm hoping they match up nicely as they are an upgraded version of the FE83En.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline Mordicai

Reply #745 on: December 20, 2016, 06:49:28 PM
Well I finally got around to installing the DOF kit in my Orcas. While I was at it I picked up the limited production run Fostex Fe83-SOL drivers. The speakers have been burning in for the last couple of days. I plan to bring them down from my kids room this weekend after they have about 120 hours on them and see how they sound. I'm hoping they match up nicely as they are an upgraded version of the FE83En.
I would love to hear your impression of the sol speakers vs the standard 83.  Please let us know how they sound

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #746 on: January 05, 2017, 11:19:00 AM
I just ordered a pair of fe83-sol for my orca deluxes. I tried the 4" 108sol's (in another speaker) and they were way better than the fe126e's. Im excited to hear them!

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline yay

Reply #747 on: January 05, 2017, 11:34:56 AM
I'm very interested in the orcas, i'm currently using a 10~ yearr old yamaha piano craft amp+speakers as my only speaker system. I have it on my desk, and that is its main useage. I also sometimes sit on a couch across the room for watching a movie or so, but mostly near field. I have a passive preamp from tisbury audio and im considering pairing them with the seductor. Would that work well? Or would a sex be a better choice. For now i would use them with my piano craft amp, but sell it as soon as i get a bottöehead amp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #748 on: January 05, 2017, 01:46:54 PM
Either S.E.X. or the Seductor with a passive level control will work well. Gain is about the same, with Seductor giving you about 3dB more output if you need it.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline yay

Reply #749 on: January 07, 2017, 05:05:22 AM
Will have to consider which one will be better for what i want, both seem to be good choices for desktop use but the seductor is easier to upgrade/integrate later.