Opinions on these RCA connectors

Pfenning · 4207

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
on: January 11, 2012, 08:04:10 AM
OK, so I had these really nice looking Phoenix gold right angle RCA's from years ago that I never used. I'm doing some updates and rearranging my system, so I'm building some new cables. I bought some Mogami mic cable, and I'm heating up the soldering iron. Here's my question. I had trouble finding more of the Phoenix gold RCA's, (right angle RCA's aren't as easy to get anymore, or so it seems) so I bought some Switchcraft right angle connectors. I know Switchcraft is typically made in the USA (although these aren't marked with any country of origin) and I've had good luck with them in the past on 1/4" connectors. These were fairly cheap at about $3 each, but they look a little cheezy compared to the Phoenix gold. What do you guys think? Should I use them on my Bottlehead gear, or pass and look for something a little nicer. They don't appear to be plated, just bare copper and something else? Take a look and give me your input. I'm burning a cable in now, to test them against some unshielded magnet wire interconnects I've been using for the last 10 years or so. Will I have a problem with corrosion because they aren't plated? Will they be the limiting factor of the sonics of my cable? Fire away with the opinions.

Thanks, Pfenning

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

Offline Wanderer

Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 08:47:36 AM
My opinion and a $1.50 will not even buy you a coffee at current prices....but here goes:

I used Switchcraft 90 degree for the connections on the base of my SME IIIs. Room is tight for tonearm cables in my Merrill mod AR XA turntable and I needed low profile 90 degree RCAs.

They have worked fine in that application of a number of years. I do believe they are gold treated contact surfaces. The Switchcraft site seems to confirm this.

http://switchcraft.com/productsummary.aspx?Parent=1005

I would bet it is gold over nickel. Not exotic, but funtional.  

Kevin R-M          

Kevin R-M

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 12:50:39 PM
Pfenning,

Ken Shindo and Keith Aschenbrenner of Auditorium 23 use the switchcraft connectors exclusiively, and does Grover Huffman in his ICs.  Grover has them stripped of the gold and nickel plating and then replates with copper and silver.

I have a bunch of them myself and they make excellent connecctors.

HTH,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 02:05:19 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Glad to hear they are being used with good results. I can't wait to get them in my system.

Pfenning

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

Offline sl-15

Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 08:31:01 PM
There is a review/recipe on 6moons that recommends the Switchcraft connectors as well. The article also mentions Ken Shindo liking them as Jim mentioned already. Here is the link:  http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/whitelightning/moonshine.html
I use them myself and like them quite a bit. They are cheap and solid, so you can't go wrong especially if you want to make several cable designs to compare. I have not tried the right angle version.

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Laudanum

Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 03:39:47 AM
That's pretty much all I have been using lately.  It's all I used for the cables in my Bottlehead based hadphone system.   Not the Right angle ones though.   I buy them in bulk (over 25 I think) and they come in at a little under $2 each at Markertek (atleast last time I purchased).   Ive never used an ultra expensive RCA plug but I've never heard any difference between a $10 teflon insulated plug and the $2 Switchcraft.  I'd prefer they were drilled with a solder cup for shield connection but the little crimp style tab works fine (I dont crimp, just solder) and is more versatile. 
I also assume that they are gold plate/flash over Nickel because I think that non gold versions are Nickel plate.   And whatever they are using for insulator does hold up well to heat from soldering.   I used to like the Deltron RCA plugs, they were the least expensive Teflon insulated plugs I could readily find at under $4.00 each and I prefer their solder cup design (for the shield).  But after seeing the gold plating discolor over time, I stopped using them.   Never did hear a difference and havent had a Switchcraft discolor.   The Switchcraft plugs have been recommended as a good, inexpensive plug by lots of folks for a long time.   I also like their simplistic look and slim design over the larger or barrel shaped plugs. 

Desmond G.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 04:02:18 AM
Desmond,

Yes, the point about their narrow profile can be important too.  In fact, I was recommended to use them when I had an old Scott 222C and most of the RCA plugs out there were too fat to work with the tight spacing on a lot of vintage gear.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)