Wow, how things have changed....

earwaxxer · 4174

Offline earwaxxer

on: August 09, 2013, 04:05:08 PM
I was just reflecting (remembering), I guess, about how things used to be in "the old days", when it came to how we listened to our music. Of course, we listened either to a radio or a "record player". Thats all there was. We listened to "albums", or in some cases 45's. They were a total composition that had to be consumed accordingly. Not only was it difficult to skip over songs but it was sacrilegious. If there was a song that was in the middle of the album that we didnt like so much right away, then that was our problem. We needed to give it time to "understand" that song. If we couldnt "get it", then again, it was our shortcomings, not the artist. We also learned to appreciate those compositions that took time to appreciate and assimilate.

As I flip through my 1200 albums now as I write this, I see how this has changed. It reminds me how important it was, for example, to hear a given Beatle album in the right order. Out of order listening (ex. the UK edition) would not do! I guess I'm an old fart. 

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 04:18:21 PM
"I guess I'm an old fart."

Copyright infringement!  Somebody tell Grainger.

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

The late Mr. Fox, Fox's Deli, Rochester, NY

Mike P.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 04:31:51 PM
True... I'm not that old! I dont think I will ever be THAT old!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

4krow

Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 04:49:07 PM
  There were so many differences that came and went. I am amazed at how easy it is for me now to turn on a machine, "look" through the albums-artists-songs, and then hit play. Don't like the song? skip it. Don't like the album, or genre? move on. I used to look for certain CD's for awhile, and then accidently finding another that had to be heard. Not like that anymore, eh mate?

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 04:51:20 PM
I still only listen to complete albums. I hate listening to random songs from different artists, or even the same artist but different albums.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 04:56:44 PM
Yes! Adam is truly the brother from another mother! What do you think Greg? Add him into the clan?

Eric

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 05:05:08 PM
Only if you go easy with the paddle during the initiation rite...

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 05:54:55 PM
I am sticking with the album-centric mode.  Those were the days. 

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 06:09:34 PM
Yup. And those were also the days when artists could actually make a living on royalties and not need to be out on the road filling a lot of seats in bigger and bigger venues to pay the bills, maybe way more often than they want to. Not that live music isn't a wonderful thing. But how can a record label rob, cheat and steal enough money from a band so the executives can buy those fancy cars and nice homes in Malibu when you can download a single song for a buck or stream it for basically nothing? What is the world coming to? Oh well, there's always sharing in the revenue from swag, etc.

Sorry for going OT. I had a client who had contempt for the label he recorded for, despised the (iconic) manager for his group, and especially the lawyers and accountants he (the manager) hired to represent them.

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

The late Mr. Fox, Fox's Deli, Rochester, NY

Mike P.

Offline Chris

Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 06:21:37 PM
Wax, your post was perfectly written and exactly what I have always said also.. And 4k, so is yours.. I do all those things myself.. That is exactly what I love about the vinyl days that the youngsters just dont experience today and thus can get trained into the  "throw away", "get bored quick" , superficial "what's next, it's been a month already"  mentality. And truly dont REALLY enjoy and savor things completely.. ie. less satisfaction...  I dont know how many times, I bought an album as a kid, and maybe even seriously disliked it at first.. But, kept putting it on and eventually liking it alot... My Keith Partridge album comes to mind... just kidding!... And yeah, a weak track in the mix eventually became a good track later on.. It also taught me to relax and just gives things a chance.. and now with cd, I have become the superficial surfing monster... next, next, ok this one for 20 seconds to enjoy the astounding resolution of the opening sequence and then NEXT!!!.. Its terrible... hahaha What's even worse, and DONT tell me that I am the only one!, when, I moved to Florida from England, I set up a new amp, cd/reference dac and bookshelfs in my computer room.. And I had the greatest resolution of any system I have had, or frankly, heard as well.. And so , I was a nut case..I was hearing detail in ALL of my music that was previously not heard before..I was loving it, BUT, I was CONSTANTLY hitting the reverse button just to hear that new detail. And  MANY times reversing to the same note or cymbal crash etc.  maybe 20 times before moving on.. Hahaha, I was asking myself if I am enjoying or just analyzing.. The answer was both, But,  I have to admit, If I had a vinyl piece playing, I would just enjoy the new detail and let the music keep flowing and not be the maniac I was with the remote!... When I am back up and running again, I plan to move into the digital server realm as well as vinyl. so, with vinyl , it will not be a problem, but with the server, I will try to not return to the previous habits and just kick back......Sorry, I am long winded, but, yes! to the great attributes that vinyl brings to us and/or MAKES us do......in just relaxing and giving it ALL a chance, and again to what it can teach us as well as help shape our behavioural patterns...So, yeah, I am right there with all of you back then experiencing and doing the very same thing.. And I am looking very much forward to getting back to doing it all again soon!!....
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 06:30:44 PM by Chris »

Offline Chris

Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 06:32:37 PM
Crikey, I just read my post for spell checking and boy, what a tough read!   haha , sorry, I will go to sleep now and be all better later.. God willing that is.... Later dudes.....

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 07:07:51 PM
well said Chris and others above... We do, in fact get it. I feel that the satisfaction we get from hearing an entire album from front to back is something real. The artist intended it so. In the early days it was a crucial mix. You expected the good stuff in the first few songs. If they could hold it together for the whole side then that was truly special. That was a masterpiece. When I listen to albums now I still judge them the same. There is a special thing when an entire album, or side,  can captivate and consume a consciousness or frame of reference throughout.

I always found it interesting that early on the critics were, well critical, of The White Album. They found it "disconnected" or in some way not consistent for one release. I thought it was perfect. Its the fucking White Album!

Eric

Offline HF9

• Zynsonix.com
    • Zynsonix.com
Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 07:16:59 PM
Yup. And those were also the days when artists could actually make a living on royalties and not need to be out on the road filling a lot of seats in bigger and bigger venues to pay the bills, maybe way more often than they want to. Not that live music isn't a wonderful thing. But how can a record label rob, cheat and steal enough money from a band so the executives can buy those fancy cars and nice homes in Malibu when you can download a single song for a buck or stream it for basically nothing? What is the world coming to? Oh well, there's always sharing in the revenue from swag, etc.

Sorry for going OT. I had a client who had contempt for the label he recorded for, despised the (iconic) manager for his group, and especially the lawyers and accountants he (the manager) hired to represent them.
I still think, despite the more recent negatives, that it's become a very exciting time for music lovers. In the age of information, we have access to so much music that we could never get through it all if we listened to it every minute for our entire lifetime. So many bands out there doing it on their own, without a label and the corporate backing. The money may not be there in spades for many artists, but they still are out there putting their soul into their records and playing small venues where only several dozen may stand there to listen to them. I think that's what it can mean to be a real, dyed-in-the-wool artist; to often sacrifice to fulfill your need to create. If these guys expected to make big bucks, they would have gone into investment banking ;)

My DIY Audio Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com

Offline Grainger49

Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 01:41:40 AM
I got it now.  I didn't miss this thread, Eric started this thread at my bedtime.  I didn't go to bed then but I didn't go back online either. 

I admit to taking the time and effort to skip "Baby Driver" on the Simon and Garfunkle album, "Bridge...".  I still don't know why it is there.  But it is true, we got to listen to the collection of works and consume them as a single work. 

How few of us know the title track to Spirit's "Clear" album.  Almost no one.

The first two Chicago (Transit Authority) albums could be stacked and played in order. Same for the 3 LP "Woodstock" album, "Tommy" and all others from those days.  And I stacked them, I had a nice Dual table.

I'm not sure that most of today's artists compose as an album.  The Wailin' Jennys "40 Days" is certainly one that is a well thought out collection.

I still don't have a music server like Greg, but it might happen.  As I get older I get lazier.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 02:48:49 PM by Grainger49 »

4krow

Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 09:20:42 AM
  "Whutcha takin' 'bout Willis?" "Ize not krazy" "ohhh...la-azy, yup that be me alright."