OT - let's ride!

Doc B. · 4143

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: December 13, 2014, 06:18:29 PM
It's done! 18 months of head scratching, self teaching and arthritic fingers. Part of my goal was that nothing on the build was hired out. Stripped and painted the frame - twice (oops), custom fit the fairings, did all the paint and vinyl wrap, rebuilt the carbs, derusted and parkerized the fuel tank, pretty much completely redid the electrical, rebuilt the forks and racing shock, and a zillion other things. I even busted the tires. I bought the bike for a song and then put ten times that into the build. I really have no clue how many hours I have into it, but if I do some rough estimating it is easily over 1000. Tonight I'm feeling like it was worth every minute and every penny.

Gonna take it out for a shake down cruise tomorrow. Figure take advantage of nice weather and the Seahawks game schedule, out here in Bubbaville all the 4x4s should be in the garage for a few hours...

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimageshack.com%2Fa%2Fimg905%2F1746%2FVeygeD.jpg&hash=443f3e9758dac62d5038663f9be83976804e8a32)

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Strikkflypilot

• Shellac fiddler
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 08:01:40 PM
Now THAT is beautiful! Congratulations!

Home system:
Sources: Ibasso DX90, Google Chromecast Audio optical out
DAC: Schiit Gumby
Amp: Bottlehead Mainline
http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=7463.0
Phones: HD800S

Office:
Sources: Iphone/ Ipod
DAC: Dragonfly Red+Jtrbug
Amp: Crack/Speedball heavily modded
Phones: HD580,HD600 grilles

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 09:10:48 PM
Sweet ride Dan it looks amazing

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline ALL212

Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 02:49:41 AM
Stunning!  That's worth 2000 hours!

Is this a pre production?  ???  We can start placing orders now...right??

Aaron Luebke

Offline Loggie

Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 04:20:46 AM
That is a very sharp looking bike you got there  8)

Sold my last bike years ago but I have to tell you that every time I see one its starting to itch.
You never get rid of that bike-fever once you had one  ;D

What brand muffler/exhaust have you fitted? It looks like its open (or not damped, not sure what the English term is for this).

Have a great time riding it !

Arno

Bottlehead Crack--Lenco L76-Thorens TD147--Cyrus IIIi+PSX-R--KEF Q7--Klipsch R-26F--Marantz CD72 SE--Philips CD202--Musical Fidelity XLPS V3--CNC Phono Stage

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 06:36:19 AM
Thanks guys. It gave me a huge amount of pleasure to do this project. It came about for two reasons. One was that Eileen and I decided to quit our 30 year cocktail habit. I realized about a month after I quit that my brain was waking up and needed to be exercised.

Around the same time PJ had given PB his old BMW, which PB was planning to restore. That got me thinking about bikes for the first time since my old TS185 cafe racer from my college days. One thing kind of led to another and, not long after, Peebs got a phone call from me asking him to pick up this wrecked CBR600F over in his neck of the woods.

To answer Loggie, the pipe is by Dan Moto, for a CBR600F4. It's titanium and does have a baffle.  I added an extra baffle they sell to make it more quiet. Works nicely and was reasonably priced, the bike is very quiet at low RPMs and does the classic inline 4 scream above 7000 rpm.

The basic bike is a 1990 CBR600F. The pipe is for a CBR600F4. The rear hugger is from a 92 CBR600F2, the fairings are 2003 CBR600RR. And there are parts from a CBR929 in there too and lots of aftermarket parts and some hand fabricated stuff - mostly brackets. One concession to other brand bikes is a steering damper from a GSXR.

Now that the bike is more or less finished it's probably time to get going on that languishing 300CE sitting behind it.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ironbut

Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 09:02:58 AM
Totally awesome job Dan!
Congrats!

steve koto

Offline Loggie

Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 10:13:06 AM
Thank you for the info on the exhaust pipe.
Found it on the Danmoto website.....price is very reasonable.

I noticed a few vids on YT you made....one including the SS182 digital speedometer.
Looks cool I have to admit. Is it easy to read in bright daylight?

Arno

Bottlehead Crack--Lenco L76-Thorens TD147--Cyrus IIIi+PSX-R--KEF Q7--Klipsch R-26F--Marantz CD72 SE--Philips CD202--Musical Fidelity XLPS V3--CNC Phono Stage

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 11:41:56 AM
That is an amazing transformation, the only thing to give away its age is the rear swingarm but only an anorak would notice that.  All you need now is a gold/black bottlehead vinyl wrap for your helmet ;)

...looking forward to the 300CE project!

M.McCandless

Offline Cary

Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 12:00:07 PM
Way cool Dan!

Cary

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 02:45:55 PM
That is an amazing transformation, the only thing to give away its age is the rear swingarm but only an anorak would notice that.  All you need now is a gold/black bottlehead vinyl wrap for your helmet ;)

...looking forward to the 300CE project!

I looked for a while at swapping in an NT650 single sided swingarm. But I wanted to get the bike running first, so maybe that's a future mod.

Helmet got some amazing hi viz reflective treatment from 3M and I also picked up a hi viz backpack. Dark bike, dark helmet/leathers = not too bright in more ways than one.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 02:51:00 PM
Thank you for the info on the exhaust pipe.
Found it on the Danmoto website.....price is very reasonable.

I noticed a few vids on YT you made....one including the SS182 digital speedometer.
Looks cool I have to admit. Is it easy to read in bright daylight?

Yes, very easy to read in daylight. Installation was challenging with the standard quality Chinese instructions, but I kept at it until I got it to work. I posted my trials and tribulations on the CBR forum.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 02:54:20 PM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Loggie

Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 07:20:13 AM
At first when you mentioned the cbr forum I thought I have a look and probably have to search through a couple of 100 CBR forums before finding the right one  ::)
However to my surprise it was very easy to find ......read all the pages btw.
Interesting read and it showed you were really commited to solve the problems you had getting it working.
And ofcourse helping others along the way.

Well done !

Arno

Offline Ferrous Bueller

Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 12:07:05 PM
Very cool.  Is that a "NOS" bottle in the back ?  8)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 12:13:32 PM
That's the reservoir for the Fox twin clicker rear shock.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.