Problem with PJCCS install on Quickie

bmwr75 · 1512

Offline bmwr75

on: December 08, 2012, 08:34:35 AM
Assembled and installed the PJCCS upgrade on my Quickie today.

The voltages don't check out right.

IA/IB measures fine at 37 VDC

A6/B6 measurs 15 VDC, outside the 19-21 VDC range expected

A5/B5 measure 280 mV, outside the ~2 VDC expected

Hum when amp/speakers and source connected is unacceptable.  Am guessing the hum is caused by pin 5 grid voltage being way too low.

Thoughts on what might be wrong?

Offline bmwr75

Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 09:26:14 AM
Oh.....and the preamp worked fine before the PJCCS was installed.

Offline bmwr75

Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 09:51:38 AM
Never mind.  I forgot to turn off the fluorescent light fixture on my work bench.......it causes the Quickie to hum.  I knew this already, but forgot when I got flustered about the A5/B5 pin voltage not measuring correctly.

FYI - if you wire up your Quickie per all the manual corrections, I think the A5/B5 voltage should be measured at A1 or A7 and B1 or B7.  My Quickie measures ~2 VDC at these pins.

I love Bottlehead kits, but the errors in the manuals can drive a person crazy!!

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 09:58:38 AM
Sounds like the D cells are backwards - see the manual correction (first sticky in this forum).

Paul Joppa

Offline bmwr75

Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 10:09:33 AM
Sounds like the D cells are backwards - see the manual correction (first sticky in this forum).

I called myself wiring up the Quickie (without the PJCCS) correctly per the manual correction.  All the voltages checked out fine before I wired in the PJCCS, at least I think they did.   ;)

It sounds fine know.  I'll try turning the D cells around and see if it sounds any different.