Bottlehead Kits > Mainline

Not sure if issue: Output and Impedance switches don't do much

(1/1)

dd076990:
I built the mainline, checked all the solder joints, passed the resistance and voltage checks with flying colors, been playing music through it for a day now using my only headphone at the moment (Mr. Speakers Ether C ) and it sounds pretty good.

However, I noticed 2 potential issues (not sure if I should be at all concerned about them):
1) The impedance switch doesn't seem to be doing anything when switching from low to high as far as volume is concerned. On my other amp (Schiit Magni 2U) it's a major difference. Not sure if this is a normal experience on low impedance cans.
2) When plugged into the Unbalanced output and switching to Balanced, I still hear all the music, just at a slightly lower volume. This is a bit different than other amps that turned off one output completely when switching.

Just want to confirm that this is normal.

Paul Joppa:
Pretty normal.

The level difference should be only 3dB. It's not really a level switch, it's an impedance-matching switch.

When I worked out a scheme for balanced or unbalanced outputs, I made sure that even if the switches were set incorrectly, there would still be sound. Probably not as good, but at least not infuriating at the end of a long day.  :^)

ALL212:
How do you like the Ether C's?  I've got the Alpha Primes and I like those.

dd076990:
Thanks Paul. Glad to know everything is working as intended.

ALL212 - I really like the Ether C. My living situation requires a closed can and they are pretty much the best you can get. I picked them over the TH900 and LCD-XC mostly due to long-wearing-time comfort. I believe Tyll at Innerfidelity did a good write up of their sound signature. A good friend of mine let me A/B them against their Alpha Primes and the difference wasn't that noticeable. The C seemed more refined and detailed but I don't think the price difference makes upgrading from the APs worth it. Sound signature is extremely similar on both cans so if I were you, I would stick with the APs as those are still very, very good closed cans.

ALL212:
Thanks for the feedback.  I got to try the Ether C at AXPONA and it is significantly lighter.  It did sound great but I wouldn't be able to justify the cost.  My Mainline is close - another week or two at the rate I'm moving and I should be in test mode.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version