tube socket options

kip.duff · 2817

Offline kip.duff

on: October 21, 2015, 08:46:58 AM
Was thinking of putting in Bakelite/gold plated 4-pin sockets (and possibly driver sockets as well), but realized:
1) the 4-pin sockets might not fit with plate hole and terminal strip configuration (I'll have a better idea tomorrow when my kits arrive and I can measure the stock sockets)
2) possible sonic deterioration because of increased mass/volume of conductor material?  The stock tube socket metal connections are thin-wall/low quantity of metal.  I have seen discussions in interconnect forums about desirability of low conductor mass of RCA connectors (Eichmann Bullet for example).  I don't know if these arguments are valid or relevant at the power tube level.  This may be a wanky discussion- I don't know- I'm not an expert in this area.  In order to keep the kits affordable, the stock sockets are probably inexpensive.  However, that may not mean that the more expensive options are better.

Anyone feel there could be harm by going to some of the fancier sockets?

The connector conductor mass discussion might also go for the speaker binding posts.  I'm going to order Cardas copper short binding posts for my Paramounts- they appear to also have a lot of metal.  The thumb-nut speaker wire connectors on my equipment has always bugged me.  I liked the connectors on my ARC VAT 100- I think they used Cardas as stock equipment.  Used a 1/2" wrench I think.

I hope I like the Paramounts enough to keep them indefinitely- I don't mind spending a little extra time and money.

Dr. Feickert Blackbird II w Reed 2A tonearm and Lyra Skala cartridge.  Eros 2.  Audio Note DAC 2.1 Signature.  BeePre with BeeQuiet and Paramount 1.1 monoblocs into A7 VOTTs or Nagoaka folded horns.

Offline caffeinator

Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 11:53:28 AM
Hi there,

I may get flamed for saying this, but I think your tweaking dollars are likely spent much better elsewhere.  I look at the gage of the wires connecting components and I can't see a lot of reason, from a conductivity perspective, for changing tube sockets, RCA sockets, or speaker terminals, for that matter - the difference between the light gage wire in the circuit and the relatively light gage metal in the sockets is not that great, and the total combination has been through a lot of optimization by the Bottlehead crew already.

That being said, I have used, in some cases, different tube socket inserts (ceramic bodies that fit in the same frames as the stock parts) when I could get them with gold plating, on the rationale they'd be less susceptible to corrosion - which is true about gold plating, but now I kind of think that was a rationalization because they looked cooler.

I also upgraded the speaker terminals to some similar to the "Big Stud" that Bottlehead used to sell as an upgrade - still five-way binding posts like the stock offering, but larger and gold plated (still easy to find at Parts Express).  Those I did mainly because I thought they looked cool, but also because they accept a wide variety of wire configurations and gages, and they have a deep enough knurl and diameter to allow even my fat fingers to cinch them down when reaching back into the stereo cabinet.  Plus they were a Bottlehead upgrade part so I figured they had the Good Housekeeping seal of approval.

I still would say, on a pure smiles per dollar basis, you'll notice way more with upgraded coupling capacitors and the like.  I get that tube sockets are more of a pain to upgrade later, though, so certainly understand the question.  I can also say I've never thought a stock BH build was in any way deficient, nor can I say that tweaks like these (sockets and studs) were audible to me.

Good luck,

david

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 12:07:42 PM
I have seen discussions in interconnect forums about desirability of low conductor mass of RCA connectors (Eichmann Bullet for example).  I don't know if these arguments are valid or relevant at the power tube level.  This may be a wanky discussion- I don't know- I'm not an expert in this area.  In order to keep the kits affordable, the stock sockets are probably inexpensive.  However, that may not mean that the more expensive options are better.
I like that you're looking at both sides from the get-go.  The stock UX4 sockets are a good middle of the road socket, with a ceramic body and plated contacts (nickel perhaps), but without any of the additional expensive voodoo that we do not find useful. I have seen Chinese gold plated jacks and sockets corrode in a short time while otherwise identical nickel jacks and sockets sitting 2 feet away did not. 
As far as mass goes, binding posts have a fair amount of physical demand placed on them.  I'd tend to go for something strong just from a longevity standpoint.  The same goes for tube sockets, where a reliable connection is important above all else.

Anyone feel there could be harm by going to some of the fancier sockets?
Teflon sockets were also considered fashionable some time ago, with many of their users replacing them after dealing with the contacts becoming loose.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 01:11:09 PM
I have moved to this type of Teflon socket. they have good grippy contacts, and I just like them 8)...John 

John S.

Offline kip.duff

Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 04:44:34 PM
I have moved to this type of Teflon socket. they have good grippy contacts, and I just like them 8)...John

John:

Did you install it in a Paramount (or similar)?  In other words did it fit?  If so, which brand/model socket did you get- if you remember.

Thanks, Kip......

Dr. Feickert Blackbird II w Reed 2A tonearm and Lyra Skala cartridge.  Eros 2.  Audio Note DAC 2.1 Signature.  BeePre with BeeQuiet and Paramount 1.1 monoblocs into A7 VOTTs or Nagoaka folded horns.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 12:05:53 PM
Sorry there was supposed to be a link. My amps are DIY so I don't know if they would fit. The body is 32mm and the mounting centers are ~43- 44 on center.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221766961154?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

John S.