Other Gear > Speakers

High SPL on older hardware

(1/3) > >>

Wired:
Greetings,

I have a vanilla Foreplay III and a couple of original 2A3 Stereomours. I'm very happy with the hardware, but have been running speakers with ~89db sensitivity and am looking to step up to something with more SPL. To accomplish this, I have (4) OB-A15Neo woofers from PAP that have 94.6 SPL and have on order a pair of Eminence N314x-8 compression drivers that have 110.5db sensitivity. The speakers will be bi-amped with the Stereomours.

This is my first foray into high SPL horns. The horns are on backorder, so I have no first hand experience as to what to expect from the Foreplay/Stereomour. I'd be happy to hear from anyone in the community that has experience with high SPL/older hardware setups like this and any gotchas I should be aware of.

Gerry E.:

Hi Rick:

I run a custom Pure Audio Project (PAP) system with a pair of BH Paramount amps (see photos below).  I also bi-amp but at a very low crossover frequency using a pair of subwoofer plate amps.  In order to get you moving in the right direction, I/we need answers to these questions:

1.  Is it correct to assume that you are going to run the drivers on an open baffle?  If yes, do you have PAP frames?
2.  What are you going to use for a horn for the Eminence compression drivers?  Eminence has at least two options for 1.4" throat: a line array wave-guide or a exponential horn.
3.  If you have PAP frames, are you going to have PAP custom cut a center baffle board for the wave-guide or horn?
4.  What is crossover frequency?  It looks like 800 - 1200hz would work well.
5.  What are you going to use for a crossover?

Obviously, you will have to deal with the SPL mismatch of the woofers and compression drivers but the answer to question 5 will help determine this.  Since you have identical stereo amps, I would recommend horizontal bi-amping vs. vertical.  This way, depending on your setup, you could have the amps very close to the speakers.  This would allow very short speaker cables which is what I have.   

This is enough to think about for now!

Gerry

Wired:
Hi Gerry, thanks for your reply :)

1) Yes, the intention is to run them open baffle. I don't have PAP frames nor their baffles. I bought the raw OB drivers directly from PAP back when they were still available as a line item.

2) I have the Eminence 60x40 exponential wave guides.

3) Once I finish prototyping, I have all the wood, equipment and needed skills to make the frames/baffles myself.

4&5) I happen to have an 800Hz active crossover.

SPL Mismatch:
I've been bi-wiring the Stereomours hoizontally and using their attenuator to match SPL. I don't usually consider vertical bi-amping because in my environment it would mean line level runs in excess of anything I'd be comfortable with. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other questions I have with regard to high SPL speakers include: What can I expect in terms of background noise? Will the choice of interconnects/lengths become more critical? Will I need to pay more attention to power conditioning? Device placement? Cable runs? Does microphony become an issue?

Right now, I'm at the prototyping stage and looking at various configurations. 

Larpy:

--- Quote from: Wired on August 25, 2023, 04:36:19 PM ---Other questions I have with regard to high SPL speakers include: What can I expect in terms of background noise? Will the choice of interconnects/lengths become more critical? Will I need to pay more attention to power conditioning? Device placement? Cable runs? Does microphony become an issue?

--- End quote ---

A few years ago, I swapped out a conventional high-powered PP tube amp and low-efficiency speakers for a Kaiju and Lii Audio F-15s in an open baffle configuration (96 dBs or so SPL).  I did hear heater hum with the stock Kaiju kit, but the DC heater upgrade took care of it.  Otherwise, I didn't experience anything unusual with my new set up.  No need for power conditioning, etc.

As you probably know, open baffle speakers need a good 3' between them and the wall behind them to sound their best.  That's one difference I did experience: my speakers are now further out in the room than in the past.  But the dramatically improved soundstage is worth it.  I'm an OB convert now.

2wo:
Larry,  can I see a picture of your F-15's?

I too have circled back to OB speakers. I have a set of F-15's, "  temporary" mounted to some thin particle board. I am still recovering from a bike accident in June, so any project requireing two arms is on hold but looking at options...John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version