troubleshoot, no output now on Eros?

levlhed · 2462

Offline levlhed

on: August 16, 2011, 04:56:28 PM
Last night I switched back to me old preamp for a record, when I hooked up the Eros to give the record another listen everything seems to power up (all tubes are lit anyway) but now there is no output at all.
Any idea what happened?  I would have expected being turned off for that long would be "long enough" to not cause any damage when powering back up?

Technics SL-1200 "MKE" ~> DL103r w/Ruby Cantilever & Contact Line Stylus ~> Audioquest PT-9 ~> Bobs Devices Cinemag SUT ~> Vista Audio PHOHO-1+ ACLE ~> Bottlehead Crack w. Speedball ~> Beyerdynamic T1

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 12:33:19 AM
Since you have started it up before the first step is to give voltage readings.  Don't bother with posting any readings that are within 15% of the expected reading.

Post the terminal or tube pin, the expected voltage and the measured voltage.

Offline levlhed

Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 02:14:04 AM
I'm not going to have time to do that for awhile now, glad I still have my old pre!
I'm way to busy this week and next getting ready for a week+ camping trip in the desert with art.

Technics SL-1200 "MKE" ~> DL103r w/Ruby Cantilever & Contact Line Stylus ~> Audioquest PT-9 ~> Bobs Devices Cinemag SUT ~> Vista Audio PHOHO-1+ ACLE ~> Bottlehead Crack w. Speedball ~> Beyerdynamic T1

Offline levlhed

Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 03:38:51 PM
I swapped the stock tubes back in and now it worked?

What is the danger in using a 6DJ8 vs 6922.  I swapped my replacement tubes back in except for the Bugle Boy 6DJ8, put a Mullard 6DJ8 instead.  Still works.  Haven't checked that Bugle Boy out yet to see if maybe it was dead or something...

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 06:18:06 PM
We went to some trouble to create a bias servo that would adapt to pretty much any 6DJ8/6922/7308/E88CC etc. variant, even the newer ones that don't seem to pull to the original 6922 spec operating point. So if it works OK with the tubes supplied, and not with the tubes you put in in place of the tubes supplied - yes, I would try to find out if those alternate tubes work in other circuits.

I must point out that you didn't mention initially that you changed tubes before you swapped the Eros in your system. These details help a lot when we try to troubleshoot by remote control.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.