Why should I replace my paramours with a stereomour?

bobster · 1896

Offline bobster

on: August 25, 2013, 09:28:04 AM
I wonder?   :-\

Any insight very much appreciated.

Bob

Bob Musson
Seduction (extended), Foreplay, Paramours, Klipsch Heresys, Orcas, Crack plus HD 600s
Lovin the Bottlehead sound in Maryland

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 09:38:04 AM
While you may lose the "mono-block" design, the Stereomours will have the latest and best circuitry and possibly bigger/better output transformers (unless you did some big upgrading).  I own a set of older Paramours and a pair of Paramounts.  I don't have a Stereomour but I could see why it would be an upgrade over (especially stock) Paramours.

On the other hand, Paramour is one of the best named amps in the line.  There's nothing like saying "Yeah, I have a couple of Paramours and I just love them."

Still, I've been eyeing the nice, neat design of the Stereomour.  Maybe I will buy one someday and just call it my third Paramour.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 02:50:11 PM
If you have the Speco output transformers and Triad chokes, I would get the Bottlehead iron upgrade kit for the older Sex amp that has the newer and greatly improved transformers.  Also, if you have th e power transformers with the flying leads, I might consider replacing those as well. Otherwise, unless you need an integrated amp, there isn't a great reason to replace your Paramours with a Stereomour.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 07:21:59 AM
If you have the Speco output transformers and Triad chokes, I would get the Bottlehead iron upgrade kit for the older Sex amp that has the newer and greatly improved transformers. 

I second this recommendation. I went that route and it was one of the best upgrades I've ever made on my bottlehead gear. Highly recommended!