Experience with (affordable) copper speaker cables?

Downhome Upstate · 2403

Offline Downhome Upstate

on: August 09, 2014, 03:08:52 AM
Just tried some DH Labs Silver Sonic Q-10, and the top end is too harsh for my taste. (To be fair, I also used their silver-plated BL-1 interconnect, which almost certainly added to the effect.)

So, I put the Belden 5000 10 ga. copper (and the Belden 89259 interconnects) back in, and, well, much better. But wanderlust set in almost immediately, and I'm wondering what's out there speaker cable-wise in copper without silver plating that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and that is worth trying. Kimber 8TC? Cardas SE 9? A DIY recipe? What's your experience?

Mike
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 03:13:17 AM by Downhome Upstate »

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

The late Mr. Fox, Fox's Deli, Rochester, NY

Mike P.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 03:32:37 AM
I am using cables from Blumenstein Audio.
http://www.blumensteinaudio.com/blumenstein-cables/
Or if you prefer to roll your own.
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/

The above sound real nice on my system. I've tried others at much higher prices but these sound the best to me.

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 03:38:51 AM
I've got the same cables that Clark & Molly are selling, I believe. Got 'em from Blue Jeans Cable (they're Belden 5000 in a white jacket), and IIRC they call them 10 White. It's the same stuff used inside the Orcas. So, . . .

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 05:03:19 AM
Mike,

I, too, am using the BJC Belden 5000.  An old adage in audio was use the cable used by the speaker manufacturer.  For my Fuseliers that was lamp cord.

I sent a PM suggestion about the Silver Sonic.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 05:05:52 AM
For those cheapskates like me, i recently bought some of this QED cable for £2 per meter. ....wiring the speakers was a £20 problem to me, i wasn't looking for anything special.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=qed+speaker+cable+unterminate&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_ssn=petern2010&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313&_nkw=qed+speaker+cable+unterminated&_sacat=0

M.McCandless

Offline corndog71

Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 06:14:48 AM
On the cheaper side I recommend Kimber 4VS or for slightly better performance 4TC.  8VS and 8TC are good too but I'm not sure the cost difference is worth it.  Depends on your system.  I've also read positive reviews of the newer 12TC but for more money than I care to spend on cables.  They also offer a 12VS which I might try someday.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 07:01:24 AM
Mike,

I, too, am using the BJC Belden 5000.  An old adage in audio was use the cable used by the speaker manufacturer.  For my Fuseliers that was lamp cord.

I sent a PM suggestion about the Silver Sonic.

Thanks, Grainger. I replied to your PM.

Mike

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 07:02:13 AM
On the cheaper side I recommend Kimber 4VS or for slightly better performance 4TC.  8VS and 8TC are good too but I'm not sure the cost difference is worth it.  Depends on your system.  I've also read positive reviews of the newer 12TC but for more money than I care to spend on cables.  They also offer a 12VS which I might try someday.

Rob,

Do you use the 4TC with a SET amp?

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.

Offline corndog71

Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 06:38:59 AM
Rob,

Do you use the 4TC with a SET amp?

I have used it with my Sex amp with no problems.  I've been using both 4VS and 4TC cables for almost 20 years.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline johnsonad

Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 08:41:22 AM
I use Mogami 9awg speaker cable purchased from redco.com (no affiliation).  It's easy to work with and sounds great!

Aaron Johnson

Offline Chris

Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 11:01:41 AM
Anti Cables maybe worth a look...