10 years to here

Air · 6772

Offline Air

• Open wine w/ a pocketknife? No Problemo
on: October 15, 2009, 07:09:28 PM
I just hope we will be able to transfer the 10 years of knowledge into this location. We could start by bringing over anything written by Paul Joppa or Doc B. We would all read them first anyway! We have 28 buttons, but no spell check. Would like to see if that could be changed.

Chuck McCalment    Linn TT- Seduction (C4S), EFPIII, Parabees's w/ shunt reg and DC heaters. Nava interconnects, homebrew power and speaker cables,  Homemade three way & S8's w/ ribbons for Christmas.
a Technics RS1500 that needs a little love.

Offline Len

Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 04:20:00 AM
I'd like it if the old forum could be left running as an archive, like what happened with the Pi Speaker forum when it moved. I've got a ton of those threads bookmarked and even linked in my audio calc spreadsheets. It would be a great loss to selectively move info to another location instead of leaving it all intact.

Paramours
Paraglows
Excites
Heavily modded Soul Sister and Groove Thang
Quickie modded to active low pass filter
Quickie modded to headphone amp
Lots of Bottlehead parts used for building other stuff

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 05:42:37 AM
Chuck, I just right clicked on a misspelled word in this field and spell check brought up a suggestion menu and fixed it.  Maybe that is Firefox doing the spell check?

Len, I would like leave the old archive up, except for the fact that it costs me. My own server costs a bunch and the added expense of the old forum being hosted on a different server doesn't really make sense financially. I asked about a reduced rate since it is now read only and there would be no real maintenance involved, but I was told that as the first AA commercial sponsor I was already getting a lower monthly rate than the other sponsors, so I could just pay the same rate as always. This was one more motivator to maintain this new forum on my own server. I haven't made a final decision yet. Let's see how much info the community finds useful on the old forum and then make a decision.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Air

Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 06:01:48 AM
Interesting. I'm running IE 8 and it has a spell checker but I had the button hidden. I suspect most browsers have some form of Spell check.  Thanks for the tip Doc.
With the challenges of the economy I completely understand the decision to pay tuition over maintaining the old forum. If you could hold it open until the end of the year I will make an effort to retrieve the things I have links to.

Chuck McCalment    Linn TT- Seduction (C4S), EFPIII, Parabees's w/ shunt reg and DC heaters. Nava interconnects, homebrew power and speaker cables,  Homemade three way & S8's w/ ribbons for Christmas.

Offline Len

Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 09:38:58 AM
Chuck, I just right clicked on a misspelled word in this field and spell check brought up a suggestion menu and fixed it.  Maybe that is Firefox doing the spell check?

Len, I would like leave the old archive up, except for the fact that it costs me. My own server costs a bunch and the added expense of the old forum being hosted on a different server doesn't really make sense financially. I asked about a reduced rate since it is now read only and there would be no real maintenance involved, but I was told that as the first AA commercial sponsor I was already getting a lower monthly rate than the other sponsors, so I could just pay the same rate as always. This was one more motivator to maintain this new forum on my own server. I haven't made a final decision yet. Let's see how much info the community finds useful on the old forum and then make a decision.

Hey Doc. Thanks for the reply.

I remember Wayne had the same problem.

Here are two ways I see to approach it:

1. The way I would approach it: Since they assume lots of traffic that would cost money, let them run advertising on the archived site and pay you a small royalty every month for the use of the data. When they answer that you signed over the IP rights, then say OK, they can leave it up for free.

2. The way that might work: I don't know how much it costs per month, but maybe there could be paying members that could support the archive. Or a drive for a lump sum payment for them to hand over the database, which could then be hosted somewhere else or translated onto this forum.

Just some thoughts. I know, a sign of maturity is the ability to let go. Tell that to a bunch of obsessives...

Paramours
Paraglows
Excites
Heavily modded Soul Sister and Groove Thang
Quickie modded to active low pass filter
Quickie modded to headphone amp
Lots of Bottlehead parts used for building other stuff

Offline Air

Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 03:45:50 PM
Hey I don't know what Doc might be willing to do or the guys at AA but I would be able to throw a dead president at an "Archive fund." Good suggestion I think Len, let the guys who benefit most help foot the bill. Seems pretty democratic to me.

Offline travisty

Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 01:10:15 PM
I agree with Len on strategy for getting access to the data. The other point which sits somewhere between points 1 and 2 is that if noone pays for the archive to be available, they will just let it disappear? Better for them to sell the back data to you with the proviso that it be read-only. It is not as if AA is one of those sites which makes huge money off unused forums... I too would put up a dead president to get it back. Then you ask www.rentacoder.com (and there are cheaper sites which offer the same service) to write a script to translate it from one db to the other.

System1: Jadis Eurythmies, Jadis JP-80, ZYX Artisan, Denon DP-100 (and others)
System2: Altec Model19s, EAR 859, Diatone LT-1, Sony SDC-777ES
currently replacing System2 electronics with BH Paramounts, FP3, Eros.
Listening Wear: BH baseball cap, obviously...

Offline bobster

Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 03:52:07 PM
+1

Hey I don't know what Doc might be willing to do or the guys at AA but I would be able to throw a dead president at an "Archive fund." Good suggestion I think Len, let the guys who benefit most help foot the bill. Seems pretty democratic to me.

Bob Musson
Seduction (extended), Foreplay, Paramours, Klipsch Heresys, Orcas, Crack plus HD 600s
Lovin the Bottlehead sound in Maryland

Offline JC

Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 07:42:48 AM
Hey, Doc,

I can certainly understand your not wishing to pay to keep the old Bottlehead site archived at AA.  Still, it would be a shame to waste the knowledge base it represents, not to mention the historical value.

Exactly what value does Rod Morris derive from having it go away, other than freeing up server space?  What value might he derive from not having it go away?

It seems to me that you have paid for the data and therefor have a right to decide its disposition, other than maybe buying a new hard drive for AA to compensate for the space.  If you were the first commercial sponsor, you already earned your lower rate; now that your forum requires virtually no maintenance, the rate should either be lowered further to a minimum maintenance level, or there should be an agreement by which you are able to maintain it for a flat one-time rate.  Or, have it off-loaded from the AA servers in a format you can use as you see fit, onto a storage device you supply, so that you may do with it what you will.

As far as any exchange of value with Audio Asylum over the years, I would expect that your books are very balanced already.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 07:45:08 AM by JC »

Jim C.