Stereomour II mods

hmbscott · 2281

Offline Mucker

Reply #30 on: January 06, 2024, 09:38:01 AM
Thanks! I think a tube glow amber under the bottlehead logo would look superb. Other colors in the other areas. Whatever you do with it, I'm sure it's going to follow what you've been doing with it, which is excellent!

Offline hmbscott

Reply #31 on: January 06, 2024, 09:46:05 AM
Awesome or Just Too Much?

Scott
[Ortofon 2M Bronze > U-Turn Theory > Eros II] & [iMac via USB > Denafrips Ares 2] >> Moreplay >> Schiit Lokius EQ >> Stereomour II >> Hsu ULS-15 Sub >> homemade DML Speakers
Moreplay 2nd out >> [Crack + Speedball > HD 650]

Offline Mucker

Reply #32 on: January 06, 2024, 09:49:34 AM
Um ..... AWESOME!

The top of your buildings need red flashing lights for airliner safety ... LOL.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 09:51:31 AM by Mucker »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #33 on: January 06, 2024, 02:42:20 PM
You deserve some kind of bonus if you do a vinyl wrap on that panel and hand trim all those cutouts.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline hmbscott

Reply #34 on: January 06, 2024, 06:27:56 PM
Paul, that's just crazy talk! I'm going to see if I can locate a shop that can air brush it. I have a local shop that has done some pretty fancy cerakote work. https://rcrefinishing.com/cerakote/

Scott
[Ortofon 2M Bronze > U-Turn Theory > Eros II] & [iMac via USB > Denafrips Ares 2] >> Moreplay >> Schiit Lokius EQ >> Stereomour II >> Hsu ULS-15 Sub >> homemade DML Speakers

Offline hmbscott

Reply #35 on: January 23, 2024, 03:31:46 PM
I dropped off the chassis, transformer cover and chokes at RC Finishing today. Robert said it will be 2-4 weeks to complete. So hopefully I will be able to start the build in February. Getting excited!

Scott

Offline hmbscott

Reply #36 on: February 28, 2024, 01:17:54 PM
Finally! I just picked up my finished chassis plate and transformers. I think Robert at RC Refinishing did an amazing job I asked him to sign the back side. The last slide is my backlight assy.

Now I can start the build.

Scott

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #37 on: February 28, 2024, 02:08:41 PM
That had to take some time!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #38 on: February 28, 2024, 05:32:38 PM
Awesome...

John S.

Offline Mucker

Reply #39 on: February 28, 2024, 10:47:02 PM
Insane! So nice ....

Offline Karl5150

Reply #40 on: February 29, 2024, 02:33:41 AM
Um...Wow!
Thanks for continuing to share the journey, looking forward to seeing it once it's singing.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #41 on: February 29, 2024, 05:29:26 AM
Wow!  That's great work.
Alonzo

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline hmbscott

Reply #42 on: March 05, 2024, 07:15:02 AM
I am happy to report that I completed the build late last night. It passed all tests first time through, and I had it singing minutes later. It sounds amazing, naturally ;), thank you Doc, Paul, Paul. The output impedance switching is interesting, very audible differences. More on that later when I have had a chance to digest it.

All that white wiring is 16ga braid-shield twisted-pair multi-stranded silver-plated teflon-insulated wire (sounds fancy on paper), but is an absolute bear to work with. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but I cannot recommend it. It does neaten the appearance of the 2A3 heater wire and the output spaghetti bowl. And, contributes to the amp being very quiet, the tiniest bit of heater hum from the left channel, but I need my ear 2" from the driver to hear it with very efficient speakers.

I am not completely finished. At a future point I will be adding the Shut Regulator upgrade, and I have some RCA 2A3 black plate NOS waiting in the wings. Oh, and I have some figured Claro Walnut I plan to use to make book-matched bases for the Stereomour and the Moreplay set.

Thanks for all your encouragement!

Scott

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #43 on: March 05, 2024, 07:37:03 AM
Is there a good source for pre-milled claro walnut?  I rebuilt some amps a while ago that came with bases made out of that, and people keep asking if I can make more. 

On that filament wiring, adding the DC filament upgrade will remove both the heater hum and most of the potential noise induced by having those heater lines running around, though it sounds like your speakers aren't so extremely sensitive that it's an issue. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline hmbscott

Reply #44 on: March 05, 2024, 09:16:49 AM
Hi Paul,

I bought my Claro Walnut here: https://nwtimber.com. They specialize in highly figured, musical instrument grade, etc. So pricy, but they sell very nice stuff. Another good source for more "mundane" Claro is https://www.macbeath.com. Both sell lumber, so I am doing my own milling of the base.

I'm hoping the hum isn't from heater wires radiating, because my right channel is silent, and the 2A3 heater leads are shielded with similar construction to the 12AT7 heater wiring. That said, I haven't spent much time fiddling with it so I don't really understand what's causing it. And, it's very minor anywise.

Scott