Upgrading from the 3d euphonic beautiful Crack OTL sound?

smodtactical · 629

Offline smodtactical

I am absolutely loving my Crack OTL (more than my audio gd he9, Elekit tu8600 almost maxed out, and even my pass x350.8 + arc ref5se). It is so 3d, rich, with a very engaging full midrange. I don't even want to install speedball because to me the tonality is just want I want (using BS650, ZMF atticus and hd800S).

My question is what would the upgrade path be if I wanted to maintain all the euphonics and 3d stage? I am not looking to improve something specific just want to hear what a 'better' version of this sound is like.

Would Crackatoa be the right path? I am also open to modding and maybe crackatoa can be a good modding platform? I don't want to mod my Crack OTL because I love the sound so much so I don't want to potentially ruin it (its also totally silent too).

Thanks!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 10:33:34 AM
If you try the Speedball and it isn't to your liking, it is possible to uninstall it and put the four resistors back.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline smodtactical

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 05:50:16 PM
Paul if end up liking speedball I know the upgrade path... its quite clear.

But if I dont and I like the euphonics of the OG sound... what would the upgrade path be then ?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2022, 06:17:09 PM
the tonality is just want I want...My question is what would the upgrade path be if I wanted to maintain all the euphonics and 3d stage?
This seems a bit contradictory. My suggestion is to start by playing with some different tubes and see what you like.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Larpy

Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 11:38:18 AM
I think I know what he means.  There's a tubey warmth in the basic Crack circuit that's very appealing.  What it lacks in resolution and bass "quickness" is matched by an old-fashioned "syrupy" quality (thick and sweet) and, with some headphones, an addictive sense of space and dimensionality.  I don't know if it's the cathode follower, the simple circuit, or both, but it's very engaging.

I built a Mainline and found it a bit "clinical" in comparison.  The resolution was clearly better with the Mainline, but the "magic" from the Crack was missing.  At least to my ears with my headphones (Senn HD800 and Audeze LCD2).  Perhaps some of the technical drawbacks of the Crack (which result in a  slowish and syrupy sound) aren't really drawbacks but highlights for some listeners.

More than most BH products, I think the Crack harkens back to the classic tube sound of the '50s and early '60s.  Just imagine replacing its diodes with a tube rectifier!  Anathema for the BH team, but it's a sound some people like.

Larry

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 11:55:48 AM
I haven't seen any indication of what this requested upgrade info is supposed to change in the sound. Only that the sound is liked and it shouldn't change. Not trying to be a PITA, I just don't understand the question.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Larpy

Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 04:04:04 PM
Fair enough, Doc.

Smodtactical, if you love the sound of your Crack, leave it alone.  Don't give in to the lure of "I must make it even better!"  That way lies, if not madness, then at least neurosis.

Larry

Offline smodtactical

Reply #7 on: March 21, 2022, 05:05:09 PM
Hey Doc B. so sometimes I might hear a sound I like (pass labs amp for example). I don't want to 'change' anything per se but I want to hear what people may think as a better sound. When I heard your Crack OTL amp.. in many ways it out does the pass... seemingly more holographic stage, more midrange fullness and seduction etc.

Suppose you eat a chocolate cake thats really awesome... you don't want 'change it'... but then someone gives you another chocolate cake that is even more chocolatey and just more delicious.

So to go back to the Crack OTL... the strengths of it are the full seductive midrange, big stage, great spatial imaging, liquid warmth that is very non-fatiguing and pleasing. Well is there an upgrade or amp (bottlehead i mean) that takes those qualities even further? Sure I could ask for more resolution, more microdetail but I don't want that to be at the expense of the tonal qualities I love about the Crack OTL.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 05:08:51 PM by smodtactical »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: March 21, 2022, 05:18:31 PM
Crackatwoa

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline smodtactical

Reply #9 on: March 21, 2022, 05:19:27 PM
Fair enough, Doc.

Smodtactical, if you love the sound of your Crack, leave it alone.  Don't give in to the lure of "I must make it even better!"  That way lies, if not madness, then at least neurosis.

Definitely... but I'll tell you my rationale. This is the first time I've heard a 'warm tube sound' if you will. And since I like it so much I want to explore it more and see if / how it can taken further. Thus far my gear has been faster, brighter/more neutral.

Offline smodtactical