Follow-up on the Vietnamese Crack...

Guy 13 · 13378

Offline Guy 13

• Audio should be simple!
on: May 26, 2014, 12:09:25 AM
Hi all.
I've been using my Crack/HD-650 for a few weeks now
and I have put at least 100 miles (Hours) on it.
No problem.
I've solved my hum problem by adding the missing capacitor.
I've solved the red hot hot temperature with a slow speed super quiet
floor fan.
(Red hot it the top plate color.)
I did some tube rolling, to me, not much difference between the RCA 6080 and the RCA 6SA7G and all the 12AT7 NOS sounds the same to me, they all sound good with very little difference between them.
I am returning to TC Tubes a defective 6080 Retheon that they have already replaced.
Now, the Sennheiser HD-650 are good, but the sound coming out of them is not what I was expecting from those headphones.
They are dark or their harmonics are all sheved off from to to bottom.
They sound good for other, but they don't make me happy.
Now, what am I gona do ? ? ?
Well, since I have no money to buy the HiFiMan HE-400 with the adequate amplifier, I will keep them.
I was interested in the Bayer Dynamics DT-880/990 but look as if they have no dealers here on planet Viertnam.
It's not that the combo Crack/HD650 is not good, it's just that it's not the sound I was looking for.
Many a long time ago I was spoilled with a pair of Stax.
I did a small modification that did improve a little the sound and it's the removal of the foam pads in frot of the drivers, now the drivers are not protected against dust, moskitots (Lots of that on planet Vietnam) and whatever can end up where it should not...
Anyway, when I wear them they are protected from dust and when I dont use them, they are protected by the Made in Vietnam/Designed by Guy 13 headphones support.
So that's it for now.
Is there are new new development, I will share them with you, that's a promiss.

Guy 13

« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 12:31:52 AM by Guy 13 »

Rega P3/Exact MM / Rega Apollo / Decware SE84C+ / Bottlehead Crack / Sennheiser HD650 / Grace Mondo RIT/ Omega 7F OB dipole / Double Eminence 12" Acoustinator OB dipole.

Offline Guy 13

Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 01:53:33 PM

Hi all.
I came back from the Sennheiser showroom.
When I went there at 1.30pm, the time of my appointment,
I brought with me my Bottlehead Crack and a step down transformer (230V-120V) and a few well recorded CDs of various type of music that I know well.
I’ve used his CD player. (Make: Exposure, made ? ? ? probably in China, but look like the company is in the UK. )
I first tried the HD-800.
They are big, really big, they would be a good fit for Prince Charles and surprisingly light weight for their size and they are very comfortable and look well made, not too fragile.
They are sold at 1,450 USD.
I must say that for that audition the ambient noise was typically Vietnamese, means loud, even extra loud.
Everything on planet Vietnam is loud, for them it’s normal, even in that hi-end shopping mall.
So my comments are tinted and colored with hi ambient noise, which is not ideal for a good evaluation.
The overall sound is good, the bass is really nice, the mid are good, but I was expecting better, the highs are not exaggerated like many reviewers said. I don’t find the highs aggressive.
Now the sound stage that was supposed to be wide, even huge to me, it was a little better than my HD-650 but not by much, most of the sound comes from each sides and on the top a little toward the front.
Now the HD-700 at 945 USD are smaller in size, lightweight and also comfortable and well made.
I would say that the sound is about the same as the HD-800 but everything on a smaller scale.
Then I tried a pair of HD-650 that he had on demo and…
Well they sounded like mine, dark, not bad, dark.
All the frequencies are there, but without life, enjoyment, fun, micro details and more, excuse me, I mean less…
But you know what, after comparing my HD-650 with the HD-800 and HD-700, they are not that bad.
Is it me at 66 years old that cannot anymore appreciate the sound of hi-end headphones?
Spending so much money on something (HD-700/800)
I don’t find better than what I already have,
does not make sense to me, especially with my micro budget.
Of course the fact that the ambient noise was so disturbing does not help for a good evaluation.
I think there is something wrong with my combo ears/brain or the umbilical cord between my ears and my brain is damaged
or is it really the ambient noise that spoiled everything and make it difficult to appreciate the sound of those two hi-end headphones.
I also listen to his tube headphone amplifier by the make of Eternal Arts Model Basic Line Made in Germany at 1,450 USD
The sound was good, but a little less refined than my Crack it was not muddy, but a little fat and it was much more expensive than my Crack.
(Sorry, here I go again with the choice of wrong words…)
I also asked the salesman to check with his manager if he could take back my almost new and unused HD-650, he will check with her, however, I got the feeling that the answer will be negative and even if it’s positive, I will have to reach deep into my pocket for more than 500 USD.
Is that worth for an HD-700 that don’t really sounds better to my ears.
I really need to bring home those HD-700 to have a serious listening, but after hearing both HD-700/800 I am not sure anymore if I want to let go my HD-650 and loose some difficult to earn $$$.
Now, I am trying to get a listening appointment for the Bayerdynamic DT-880/990; then I will decide.
I will still try to listen to the HiFiMan HE-400, but I know that will be a lost of time, because even if they are not expensive, I will have to buy a new amplifier for them, something, I cannot afford right now and even later.
Sorry about this disappointing evaluation.
I am not the right guy to give good evaluation on any audio products, because I rarely see any improvements when I switch from one component to the other.
Next week, I will have more comments.
In the mean time, I will do more (Serious) listening with my combo Crack/HD-650.
Thanks for reading my boring stuff.

Guy 13

The name of the store/showroom is SV House
On Dong Khoi/Le Loi streets in Ho Chi Minh City, planet Vietnam.
The salesman name is: Mr. Vo Minh Tuan.
Here are pictures of him and me or me and him.

Rega P3/Exact MM / Rega Apollo / Decware SE84C+ / Bottlehead Crack / Sennheiser HD650 / Grace Mondo RIT/ Omega 7F OB dipole / Double Eminence 12" Acoustinator OB dipole.

Offline Kris

Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 03:23:55 PM
Guy,

Have you considered HD600 instead? They are "brighter" than HD650's and lots of people prefer them over 650's (I'm not one of them but that's up to your personal taste).
Not to mentioned that HD600's are appx. $100 cheaper.

Cheers,
Kris

Offline Guy 13

Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 03:35:44 PM
Guy,

Have you considered HD600 instead? They are "brighter" than HD650's and lots of people prefer them over 650's (I'm not one of them but that's up to your personal taste).
Not to mentioned that HD600's are appx. $100 cheaper.

Cheers,
Kris

Hi Kris.
I have been told by several persons the same thing you just wrote.
It might be easy to arrange a listening session with the store and since my HD-650 are 8 months old, but in mint condition, the salesman, might do a swap with any $ $ $ involve.
However, the difference must be noticeable to my 66 years old ears,
I really have a problem hearing differences between audio components.
(Interconnects, tubes, CD Players, etc...)
Thanks for the suggestion.
I will see and hear.

Guy 13

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 11:31:56 PM
Hi guy, I have a suggestion that will only cost a few dollars to try and I think might work well for you with the Crack and HD650's and that is to try the Russian  K71-7 Polystyrene capacitors either with or in place of the Teflons you already have fitted. They are small and cheap and would be quick and easy to install in you build I think may well give you the lift in overall presentation you are after.

The effect of bypassing with the K71-7 Polystyrenes I found quiet pronounced and initially I was like WOW however I soon realised the presentation was became fatiguing to listen to in my set up with the T1's and a hour or two was all I could comfortably listen before they became tiring.

They actually worked much better combined with softer presentation of my own HD650's and I can see them suiting more mature ears even better!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-5uF-250V-0-5-Matched-Pair-K71-7-Polystyrene-capacitors-Lot-of-2-NOS-/231001582495?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c8c46b9f

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Guy 13

Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 11:54:13 PM
Hi guy, I have a suggestion that will only cost a few dollars to try and I think might work well for you with the Crack and HD650's and that is to try the Russian  K71-7 Polystyrene capacitors either with or in place of the Teflons you already have fitted. They are small and cheap and would be quick and easy to install in you build I think may well give you the lift in overall presentation you are after.

The effect of bypassing with the K71-7 Polystyrenes I found quiet pronounced and initially I was like WOW however I soon realised the presentation was became fatiguing to listen to in my set up with the T1's and a hour or two was all I could comfortably listen before they became tiring.

They actually worked much better combined with softer presentation of my own HD650's and I can see them suiting more mature ears even better!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-5uF-250V-0-5-Matched-Pair-K71-7-Polystyrene-capacitors-Lot-of-2-NOS-/231001582495?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c8c46b9f
Hi Jamie.
Thanks for the suggestion.
It's an inexpensive trial, therefore, not much to loose, the only small problem is that I cannot get them ship to planet Vietnam, but I can always get them shipped
to my wife's nephew in Seattle, but it might take a few months to get them via a relative or friend space flying to planet Vietnam.
I might have soon other audio stuff to order, can put everything together, but that won't change the fact that it will still take some time to get it, that's the price to pay to live on another planet.
When I get them, I will ask you were to instal them.
Thanks again.

Guy 13

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 12:14:50 AM
Guy they would solder with each lead to the same terminals as the upright silver teflons are connected you could even solder them to the same leads.

Do you have problems with the post service in Vietnam and receiving incoming mail?

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fbottlehead.com%2Fsmf%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Ddlattach%3Btopic%3D6185.0%3Battach%3D5778%3Bimage&hash=45a25f7115904bdeaad562f0061041742b582366)

Offline Guy 13

Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 12:27:42 AM
Guy they would solder with each lead to the same terminals as the upright silver teflons are connected you could even solder them to the same leads.

Do you have problems with the post service in Vietnam and receiving incoming mail?

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fbottlehead.com%2Fsmf%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Ddlattach%3Btopic%3D6185.0%3Battach%3D5778%3Bimage&hash=45a25f7115904bdeaad562f0061041742b582366)

Hi (Again) Jamie.
That's an easy enough soldering job. I can do that.
So, if I understand well, the Russian capacitors are by-pass to the existing capacitors?
The problem with Amazon, eBay, etc... Is that they don't ship to Vietnam,
plus the fact that very often small padded envelopes (Jiffy bags) or small box,
get stolen by low income, not to say, custom and/or post office thief.
Sad to say, but with my almost 20 years in Vietnam,
I know quite well what can happen.

Guy 13

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 12:57:55 AM

So, if I understand well, the Russian capacitors are by-pass to the existing capacitors?

Guy 13

Yes that's correct they would be added as by-passes to the existing capacitors.

Offline Guy 13

Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 01:09:16 AM

Guy 13

Yes that's correct they would be added as by-passes to the existing capacitors.

Hi (Again - again) Jamie.
Thanks.

Guy 13

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 03:27:28 AM

They are big, really big, they would be a good fit for Prince Charles and surprisingly light weight for their size and they are very comfortable and look well made, not too fragile.
I must say that for that audition the ambient noise was typically Vietnamese, means loud, even extra loud.
Everything on planet Vietnam is loud, for them it’s normal, even in that hi-end shopping mall.
So my comments are tinted and colored with hi ambient noise, which is not ideal for a good evaluation.
The overall sound is good, the bass is really nice, the mid are good, but I was expecting better, the highs are not exaggerated like many reviewers said. I don’t find the highs aggressive.
Now the sound stage that was supposed to be wide, even huge to me, it was a little better than my HD-650 but not by much, most of the sound comes from each sides and on the top a little toward the front.
Now the HD-700 at 945 USD are smaller in size, lightweight and also comfortable and well made.
I would say that the sound is about the same as the HD-800 but everything on a smaller scale.
All the frequencies are there, but without life, enjoyment, fun, micro details and more, excuse me, I mean less…
But you know what, after comparing my HD-650 with the HD-800 and HD-700, they are not that bad.
Is it me at 66 years old that cannot anymore appreciate the sound of hi-end headphones?

Your impressions of the 650/700/800 are pretty much spot on to what i have picked up from reading various opinions over the years. The 650s are dark and laid back, and the 700 are known to be a bit bright in the high end, and if anything dont seem to get a lot of love. Reviewing any headphone with high ambient conditions is no easy feat, would make it extremely hard to differentiate the differences.

Personally i would shop around a bit more before making any decisions, see can you sample a few different Bayerdynamic models and see what you think.  I'm sure there are other high impedance headphones out there, i just cant think of any off the top of my head..

M.McCandless

Offline Guy 13

Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 04:14:36 AM

Your impressions of the 650/700/800 are pretty much spot on to what i have picked up from reading various opinions over the years. The 650s are dark and laid back, and the 700 are known to be a bit bright in the high end, and if anything dont seem to get a lot of love. Reviewing any headphone with high ambient conditions is no easy feat, would make it extremely hard to differentiate the differences.

Personally i would shop around a bit more before making any decisions, see can you sample a few different Bayerdynamic models and see what you think.  I'm sure there are other high impedance headphones out there, i just cant think of any off the top of my head..

Hi mcandmar.
Yes, I will shop around, as a matter of fact, I found an authorized dealer for Bayerdynamic, he's more or less my competitor, he sell video stuff and I specialize in photo, but I have a few items for video.
He's got on demo the DT880 and 990, however, since my wife called him, I don't know if they are 250 or 600 Ohms.
I might go and see him tomorrow, but if not, it will be Tuesday the 3rd, because the 2nd I will go and see the authorized dealer of HiFiMan and Audeze, but those two brands are definitely not on my wish list. HiFiMan need a new amplifier and Audeze is for the millionaire, something I am not right now or even in a near or far future. It's just to have a few more references.
But I am definitely interested in the BD DT-880/990 (600 Ohms) because they are both affordable and can be driven by my Crack.
I will also try the HD-600.
Therefore, before committing myself with a new pair of headphones, this time, I will take my time.
If I buy another pair of headphones it will be from a Vietnamese authorized dealer, because of the warranty, I know that Amazon has good prices, but delivery and warranty return might be a problem.
Thanks for your post.

Guy 13 stuck on planet Vietnam.

Offline Chris65

Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 04:39:41 AM
But I am definitely interested in the BD DT-880/990 (600 Ohms) because they are both affordable and can be driven by my Crack.

Hi Guy, the 250ohm versions also work well with the Crack.
Maybe the list of headphones on the main Bottlehead site is useful: http://bottlehead.com/which-amp-should-i-buy-for-my-headphones/

Offline Guy 13

Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 04:26:30 PM

Hi Guy, the 250ohm versions also work well with the Crack.
Maybe the list of headphones on the main Bottlehead site is useful: http://bottlehead.com/which-amp-should-i-buy-for-my-headphones/

Hi Chris65.
(Does the 65 in your nick name means you were born in 1965?
No need to answer, but if you don't answer my curiosity will be...
Well you know.)
I've been thinking about my HD-650 problem, well, it's more like a long term concern
on a 24/24 basis and I've more or less narrow down my choice to the following headphones:
HD-600, DT-880/990.
Of course I will have to audition them before taking my final decision.
But right now, it looks like I will probably keep the HD-650, unless one of the above mentioned headphones sounds better to my ears than what I have now and of course, if I can afford them, meaning that I would have to sell at a lost the HD-650, something that I am reluctant to do.
Anyway, today I will go to the Bayerdynanic dealer to audition the DT-880/990.
As usual, I will report my findings in details.
By the way, even if the Crack can drive easily the 250 Ohms headphones, if I change,
I would go with a 600 Ohms unit, if available.
Thanks for posting.

Guy 13

Offline Guy 13

Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 04:27:05 PM

Hi all.
Yesterday, I went to Camera Phuoc the official importer/retailer for Bayerdynamic.
Camera Phuoc is more or less a competitor on mine, but he’s in the professional video equipment business and I am in the professional photo equipment supply, minds you, we also offer a limited range of video items. Anyway…
Upon arrival in that, as small as my showroom, but much nicer and more stocked than mine showroom, the top model style (Holly macro…) receptionist greeted me with some kind of poker face, I asked her about the headphones and she mumble to me : Yes we have those.
Then, I had to ask her if she could smile, really, I did and she showed me what was supposed to be a smile, but to me look more like an angry face, that typical from the people from the North of Vietnam working in the South.
Anyway, a smiling male salesman came up to me and offer to help me.
He had on demo the DT-880 (250 Ohms) and the DT-990 (250 Ohms) and may other models, but those are the two models that I wanted to audition. He set up was a laptop with FLAC files downloaded from the Vietnamese Internet, which means poor quality and what look like a DAC/headphone amplifier, a Samson brand with several headphones outputs.
I am sure that little box did not do justice to the headphone, but had the advantage to being able to switch within 3-5 seconds between the DT-880/990/HD-650 that I brought as a reference.
My first impression on the DT-880 is that they are comfortable, but my ears are touching something inside and they feel big, too big, like I have put some kind of tin can over my hears.
The sound at first was thin, almost cavernous…
But after a while I realize that it was brighter than my HD650, I did a rapid switch between the DT880 and HD650 and it confirmed my thoughts.
The HD650 is darker, but the bass is better and overall, the HD650 seems to do a better job.
Also one thing about the HD650 they are more comfortable, like if your ears were a little baby pampered by her loving mother. They have a tight fit around the ears and I prefer that to the more or less loose fit of the DT880.
Now, I tried the DT-990 same as above but to me a little better of/on everything, except again for the fit over the ears.
Switching from the DT-990 ad the HD650 made me like both, they both have their plus and minus.
I have eliminated the HD-880 and compared the 990 to the 650.
Comfort: HD-650 is the winner by a lot.
Bass: HD-650 wins again, but the DT990 is not far behind.
Mids: More or less equal.
The HD650 is dark and the DT990 sound a little cavernous, but brighter.
Hi: Very different sound between the two.
The DT990 is brighter with what seems to be more details, more sparkle, the HD650 is very good in the highs, but again dark.
Even if my listening experience at Camera Phuoc showroom is better (Less ambient noise, but less quality source and amplification) than the listening session I had at Sennheirser showroom, I would love to bring the DT990 at home to do a more extensive listening with MY Crack and MY Rega Apollo CD player in an almost dead quiet listening room.
One other thing: The 600 Ohms version is a special order; he will tell me how much time it can take to get them.
Now, the shocking news !
The price: The sales man told me that the price of the DT990 is 4,490,000 Vietnamese dollars, which comes down in real money to 212 USD, I told the salesman that he had make a mistake since the DT990 are advertised on Amazon at 379 USD, I told him that he had made a mistake when doing the conversion from Vietnamese Dong to US dollars. I told him to check again.
Yes, it’s really 212 USD.
I’ve asked him why is that?
Because they are the official importer/retailer.
That was a pleasant surprise.
Plus a two years warranty.
Now, he told me that the 600 Ohms version is a little more expensive, he will get back to me in a few days with availability and price.
Almost forgot about the sound stage, well, nothing much to say about that, very narrow and all.
I am happy that I went there to audition the DT-880/990.
I am still not decided… ???
On Monday, I have an audition at the HiFiMan/Audeze’s showroom.
After that, I will have to take/make a difficult decision, because right now, I am loosing sleep over that decision.
One thing is sure, the Sennheiser HD-700/800 have been eliminated from my wish list. I have to try the HD-600, but I am reluctant because I think I will be loosing my time.
I will get back to you sometime next week.
Stay close by, don’t go far away…

Guy 13