Stock 2A3 Tube Life Expectancy

Thoburn · 7353

Offline Thoburn

on: January 14, 2011, 03:15:14 PM
Hello all,

I am running the stock Sovtek 2A3 tubes in my Stereomour. It runs everyday as my wife is a stay-home mom. I suspect it has 800+ hours on it now and have been wondering about tube life expectancy. I know from previous tube amps that power tubes tend to age slowly and you may not notice it for awhile. This is my first Bottlehead amp and my first experience with the 2A3 tube. Soooo, how many hours do you think is a reasonable lifespan for the Sovtec 2A3 in Stereomour?

Dynavector DV-20X2L > VPI Scout II > Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomena
Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Stereomour > Lowther Medallion DX4 and Rythmic Subs
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 03:41:22 PM
Good question. Has anybody here on this forum experienced a 2A3 death from old age?

I've had the old Chinese biplate 2A3s - the ones from 15+ years ago - go south on me, usually around 1000 hours. They would get some brown stain on the glass, like someone was smoking unfiltered cigarettes inside the tube, then they would start to make pops and crackling noises at increasingly frequent intervals. I never saw one just lose emission, which ought to be the normal death as the cathode wears out. And I've seen or heard of a few individual tubes with heat-warped grids shorting out, or transient arcing cathode damage. I can't recall any other experience.

Western Electric used to spec 20000 hours for their 300B, IIRC. That's probably the upper limit of lifetime at anywhere close to maximum specified plate dissipation. Small-signal tubes operated far below spec can last for an amazingly long time if they are well made, maybe 100,000 hours.

I would hope for 5000 to 10000 hours from a quality new production 2A3 or 300B, once the production line has been sorted out. Maybe more from the best, most serious producers. But we all roll tubes so often that it's hard t find a tube that has sat in an amp long enough to fail from pure age.

If you find they are failing too frequently, you can look for some of the 2.5-v 300B clones, sometimes sold as super-2A3s with 40-watt dissipation ratings. In a 2A3 amp they should last a very long time dissipating 15 watts.

Paul Joppa

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 05:42:17 PM
If you find they are failing too frequently, you can look for some of the 2.5-v 300B clones, sometimes sold as super-2A3s with 40-watt dissipation ratings. In a 2A3 amp they should last a very long time dissipating 15 watts.

And the JJ Electronics 2A3-40 sound amazing....

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline Thoburn

Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 06:06:52 PM
Thanks for the info guys. In my situation the 5000 hours would still take about 2 years, so I'm good for some time yet. What I think I will do is keep a set of Sovtecs in the amp for general use and (some day) pick up a set of premium tubes that I put in the amp for critical listening. My wife mostly runs the system as 'background' anyway, so she won't notice a thing.

Dynavector DV-20X2L > VPI Scout II > Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomena
Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Stereomour > Lowther Medallion DX4 and Rythmic Subs
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 10:26:15 AM
After using my stock Sovtek 2A3s for about 4 or 5 years, not listening as much as you do, I noticed it had become "classic tube sound."  That means it had gotten way, way to warm.  I replaced them with a pair of Shuguang 2A3Cs for about $100/pr and was impressed.  I'm running some generic old stock RCAs now.  So I have enough tubes for the next 10 years plus.

Offline MariaUlrey

Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 07:25:57 PM
Good question. Has anybody here on this forum experienced a 2A3 death from old age?

I've had the old Chinese biplate 2A3s - the ones from 15+ years ago - go south on me, usually around 1000 hours. They would get some brown stain on the glass, like someone was smoking unfiltered
newbielink:http://www.ecigfiend.com/ecigs-knowledge/ [nonactive] inside the tube, then they would start to make pops and crackling noises at increasingly frequent intervals. I never saw one just lose emission, which ought to be the normal death as the cathode wears out. And I've seen or heard of a few individual tubes with heat-warped grids shorting out, or transient arcing cathode damage. I can't recall any other experience.

Western Electric used to spec 20000 hours for their 300B, IIRC. That's probably the upper limit of lifetime at anywhere close to maximum specified plate dissipation. Small-signal tubes operated far below spec can last for an amazingly long time if they are well made, maybe 100,000 hours.

I would hope for 5000 to 10000 hours from a quality new production 2A3 or 300B, once the production line has been sorted out. Maybe more from the best, most serious producers. But we all roll tubes so often that it's hard t find a tube that has sat in an amp long enough to fail from pure age.

Well I liked your opinion.. I have faced 2A3 death and I think your way is right to last things for longer duration..
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 06:21:44 AM by MariaUlrey »

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 06:26:08 AM
Quote from PJ: "If you find they are failing too frequently, you can look for some of the 2.5-v 300B clones, sometimes sold as super-2A3s with 40-watt dissipation ratings. In a 2A3 amp they should last a very long time dissipating 15 watts."

My Custom BH Stereo 2A3 amp has been running JJ 2A3-40 tubes for a year or more now and I find them exciting and trouble free. The sound is big, like the 300B's they emulate, and Eurotubes in Portland OR gives a good warranty in case of a bad one. I can recommend this tube highly.

Cheers, Hank in Eugene
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 06:29:08 AM by Hank Murrow »