• Bottlehead
Reply #30 on: April 20, 2017, 09:41:59 AM
t shirts!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline binar01

Reply #31 on: August 14, 2017, 03:37:59 PM
If we made a preamp as big as a Volkswagen someone would make a capacitor as big as a Cadillac, and someone else would be determined to put it in the preamp.  ;)

Sorry Doc, just had to do it!

As someone said before, these Mundorfs have heavy, stiff leads that make them structural.

In this case to protect the big caps from the heatsinks I zip-tied silicone lids from broken coffee cups to the stick-on tie mounts for the Daytons.

Has worked very well for the last half year.

Now I'm going to try these undersized silver / copper CAST Duelunds as per the vcap calculator (.8 was enough to mate with Kaiju input impedance).

If the bass suffers I can stab them in a phono stage I have that uses 1uF.

Offline kip.duff

Reply #32 on: November 13, 2017, 03:34:19 PM
Spending the money on a 1000V cap is not necessarily the best plan, as the price of the capacitor and its size will go up to meet the specifications for the high voltage rating.  When the size gets to be that large, the leads coming out of the cap become unusually large, and you really must find a way to secure the cap against the chassis so that those leads don't snap off under the weight of the cap.

(I personally just put the 10uF Russian caps in mine)

I have some MBGO 10uF 300V PIOs- is this good example of the "Russian caps" you're referring to?  This cap is relatively small- an easy fit.  Better Russian options?  Do you/can you recommend cathode bypass caps for the 300Bs in the BeePre?  I saw you used some Jantzen non-electrolytic Crosscaps as cathode bypass in your Paramounts- I have done the same.  Thanks in advance, Kip......

Dr. Feickert Blackbird II w Reed 2A tonearm and Lyra Skala cartridge.  Eros 2.  Audio Note DAC 2.1 Signature.  BeePre with BeeQuiet and Paramount 1.1 monoblocs into A7 VOTTs or Nagoaka folded horns.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #33 on: November 14, 2017, 04:40:29 AM
I have 10uF/200V MGBO in my BeePre.

Bypass caps in the BeePre need to be 10,000uF, so the choices are pretty limited.  We put the best cap in that was available when we created the BeePre.  Now there is the Nichicon KA cap that's a newer model that might be a hair better, but they seem to go in and out of stock pretty frequently.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline kip.duff

Reply #34 on: November 14, 2017, 02:38:50 PM
Thanks Paul :)

Dr. Feickert Blackbird II w Reed 2A tonearm and Lyra Skala cartridge.  Eros 2.  Audio Note DAC 2.1 Signature.  BeePre with BeeQuiet and Paramount 1.1 monoblocs into A7 VOTTs or Nagoaka folded horns.