USB -> SPDIF converters

dubiousmike · 5119

Offline dubiousmike

on: July 02, 2013, 09:30:30 AM
While killing time waiting on news of the final prototype of the bh dac, I was wondering if any of you have thoughts/recommendations regarding good and affordable usb -> spdif converters.  I have been using a blue circle audio "usb thingee" (http://bluecircle.com/page81.html) for computer audio for several years, without any major gripes, but at some point I would like pickup a unit that supports high def playback.  [Note that to my ears, the bct "thingee" sounds quite good, despite its use of the humble pcm2704, and clearly provides a cleaner output to my Keces 131 dac than either the 24bit/192khz spdif outputs on my current azrock mb (very noisy) or my old creative x-fi card (not bad but prone to driver issues and irq conflicts).]

It looks like the CM6631 chip is getting quite a bit of positive attention on diyaudio in recent months, and I'm pretty tempted to roll the dice on a cheap "Breeze Audio" unit ($80) like this one - which actually includes a true, isolated psu: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CM6631-USB-to-Coaxial-Optical-SPDIF-I2S-convertor-for-DAC-w-PSU-transfor/130861135660?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D8794341126424675306%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D130861135660%26

I've also read good things about the latest iteration of the musical fidelity vlink ($200 on amazon), but like the hiface products, my current "thingee" and other analogs, I assume this uses "galvonic electrical isolation" (however that actually works) rather than a tranfo.

For those of you who may be interested in seeing some measurements, here is an interesting blog post on an even cheaper version of the Breeze Audio converter, minus the isolated psu: http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2013/03/measurements-adaptive-aune-x1.html

Mike M.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 01:09:58 PM
It seems like everyone has a USB to SPDIF converter these days. I got the u-Link from wyrd4snd for a couple of reasons. 1. I immediately made a battery pack for it and its as simple as throwing a switch to run it from external power. 2. It has three 24/192 digital outs including BNC and you can use all three at once if you want. And, yes it does do 24/192 to toslink! It sounds great! It's not expensive.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline dubiousmike

Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 07:41:02 AM
Thanks for the heads-up on the w4s converter.  Looks like a really nice device - stylish too!  Can you hear a discernible difference when you switch it over to battery power? 

The ulink looks like a very good and reasonably priced bet if I end up opting to go with a reputable manufacturer, particularly when compared to something like the sonicweld diverter, for which I assume they're charging $2k+ for case work and a fancy display ::).  That said, I'm still very tempted by the breeze audio unit linked in my OP.

Mike M.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 11:17:10 AM
I do notice a difference with the battery. With battery there is less of a certain very subtle edge. It's pretty easy to spot when you get used to the difference. Sometimes I throw the uLink power switch the wrong way. I will end up listening for some time before I start picking up on something not quite right.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline dubiousmike

Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 09:52:33 AM
Appreciate the input Eric!  Good to know that even if it is subtle, I'm not chasing phantoms in my interest in an independent psu.  Still grappling with what to buy.  Will report back when I make up my mind!

Mike M.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 03:20:49 PM
No prob! - it just makes sense to me that if you can use a battery, why the hell not! Very little lost if you 'dont like it' for some reason. I have packs of 14 AA's that I charge as a group with my fancy charger that I use for my RC batteries.

Eric