Integrating Stereomour and Crack

danox574 · 5191

Offline crackaddict

Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 04:25:58 PM
Hi again,

I went to mouser to order a 4PDT switch and the options are mind-boggling.

What do I need, in terms of switching (on/off/on etc), electrical specs, etc? And are there any particularly good brands?

Thanks,
Derek

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 05:42:21 PM
4PDT On-On or On-none-On.

Don't buy a momentary switch.
Don't buy a switch with insanely high current or voltage ratings.

This switch has worked well for me:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mountain-Switch/108-1M41T1B1M1QE-EVX/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvudeGI7i40XO%2BnGhp8Hy%2BJxJl/fWyiy6Y=

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline crackaddict

Reply #17 on: July 04, 2014, 03:29:17 PM
Great advice, and thanks for the direct link. I've already ordered it. I thought I'd be self-sufficient, but in looking at the datasheet, I think some professional advice would be helpful. My intent is to locate this switch between the volume knob and the input selector switch. I'll toggle it to the right when I want the Steremour active, and toggle it to the left when I want the input to route back out to the third set of RCA jacks. Can you advise how I should solder the 4PDT switch? The way I see it, there will be one L & one R coming into the switch (which is 4 wires, if you count their grounds), and two Ls and Rs going out, each with their own grounds... That's way more wires than there are lugs on this switch.

Related: I'm leaning towards actually using all three inputs, so I have ordered an extra set of RCA jacks and extra hookup wire. It's quite tight toward the rear, but a good location for the RCAs would be right between the speaker lugs and the IEC power entry. Using the same hookup wire (with the drain wire, etc.), is there a noise/interference risk in moving this line-level wire so near the AC input or in routing it right past the speaker outputs? (Ideally I would always have the Steremour OFF while the input is switched out to the Crack, but I still want to do the routing the "right" way.)

Thanks again,
Derek
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 10:50:14 AM by crackaddict »

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: July 05, 2014, 12:45:52 PM
Can you advise how I should solder the 4PDT switch? The way I see it, there will be one L & one R coming into the switch (which is 4 wires, if you count their grounds), and two Ls and Rs going out, each with their own grounds... That's way more wires than there are lugs on this switch.
A 4PDT switch has 12 lugs on it. 
Related: I'm leaning towards actually using all three inputs, so I have ordered an extra set of RCA jacks and extra hookup wire. It's quite tight toward the rear, but a good location for the RCAs would be right between the speaker lugs and the IEC power entry. Using the same hookup wire (with the drain wire, etc.), is there a noise/interference risk in moving this line-level wire so near the AC input or in routing it right past the speaker outputs? (Ideally I would always have the Steremour OFF while the input is switched out to the Crack, but I still want to do the routing the "right" way.)
There might be, we don't tend to put jacks there for that reason, but you may be OK.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline crackaddict

Reply #19 on: July 05, 2014, 03:09:50 PM
Right you are! I was confusing the lugs on the Alps Blue Velvet with the 4PDT switch in my mind. Should have been more careful before posting.

I'll give this one more serious think before I use the RCAs in the location I'm considering. Who knows, maybe they and the hookup wire will even introduce some interference into the system when switched to "Steremour mode." That would not be good.

Thanks again for your help. Great community!

Derek

Offline crackaddict

Reply #20 on: September 26, 2014, 03:24:18 PM
Ok, so I ended up simply connecting the third set of RCAs to the output of the switch, creating a second leg from the switch. I connect the Crack impit to those RCAs.

I expected to hear some volume drop or some kind of effect when I turn the "other" amp on or off, but there appears to be no impact. I can listen to the Crack with the Steremour on, and turning either on or off has no impact that I can hear on the other.

no complaints or questions, really, just a bit of (positive) surprise.

Derek