Bottlehead Kits > Integration

Something was wrong and then I made it worse. [solved]

(1/2) > >>

corndog71:
I got the shunt regulator board installed and fired it up for testing voltages.  I noticed the leds on the shunt board were all lit as were the two on the left channel tube. 

The right channel leds on the tube were not lighting up. 

I checked the voltage on the metal tabs of each MJE5731. 

Left side was 105VDC, right side had 0VDC.  I figured I didn't solder it in good enough so I shut it down and resoldered all 3 pins.

I turned it on again and the right tube leds were still not lighting up.  I probed the outer pins of the MJE5731 and got 120VDC and then my probe slipped and hit the center pin and I heard a snap.  All four leds on the shunt board stopped lighting up. 

So the question is how do I figure out which parts I broke?

Paul Birkeland:

--- Quote from: corndog71 on February 22, 2014, 10:09:48 AM ---

--- End quote ---

You don't, you build a new PC board.

(It was very likely the center leg of the MJE-5731A, or an issue with  the black jumper)

corndog71:

--- Quote from: Caucasian Blackplate on February 22, 2014, 12:50:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: corndog71 on February 22, 2014, 10:09:48 AM ---

--- End quote ---

You don't, you build a new PC board.

(It was very likely the center leg of the MJE-5731A, or an issue with  the black jumper)

--- End quote ---

The black jumper checks out.  Are you saying I need to replace all of the parts on the board?  Surely some of them are salvageable.

corndog71:
So I took the shunt regulator board out as well as the two 1K resistors, reconnected the B+ wires and turned it on to make sure it still worked in stock form. 

The tubes lit up but I thought I heard a slight crackling sound so I shut it down.

Going back to resistance checks I found some off readings.

39 - 7.2K
41 - 7.2K
42 - 8R

50 - 982R
51 - same as 50

52 - 1.952K   The reading jumps around but then builds up to here and stays there.
53 - same as 52

56 - 0.6R
57 - same as 56  Bad cap?

58 - 982R  It jumps a bit then settles here.
59 - same as 58

The 1K resistors between the power supply caps are still good.

Paul Birkeland:
I guess my biggest question is whether the stock Reduction was functioning or not. 

56/57 being 0 and 58/59 being 1K means that you have a short at 56/57.

Can you provide a photo of that region?

It's also possible that one of the red wires leaving that region got moved to a ground connection.  (T5 would be the logical mistake here)

Generally, you won't kill one of the power supply caps unless it's in backwards, which is also possible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version