royal princess 300b vs. KR300b

mozarti · 2002

Offline mozarti

on: November 16, 2014, 12:00:04 PM
I know couple of bottleheads have tried both of these very expensive tubes (currently $950 for KR and $1200 for SE) in their BeePres and have liked them.  I was wondering whether they would share more fully their impressions of how they differ from EH300b.  If anyone has listened to both, I would also very much appreciate any observations they may have.  My main concern with royal princesses is the noises that it makes while warming up and my main concern with KR tubes is that they may not have the midrange magic of SE carbonplates and SE royal princesses. 

Offline aroide

Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 06:18:56 PM
I tried the Sophia Electric 300b carbon and I didn't like the sound.  Way too mid-range forward and muted in my 300B.  I settled on the Psvane 300B-TII 'grey bottle' tubes and LOVE them.  Quite neutral but detailed.  And quite a bit cheaper than the royal princess tubes.

BTW, I also swapped in the psvane EL84-TII and do notice a subtle improvement.

Mac mini running Roon->
Mytek Brooklyn DAC+->
Darwin Truth RCA IC->
BeePre (BeeQuiet,  Mundorf Ag/Au/Oil, Sophia Royal Princess 300B)->
Audioquest Colorado->
Rogue Audio Atlas Magnum amp (Psvane small signal tubes, KT150s)->
Audioquest Gibraltar-speaker cables>
Magnepan 1.7 & REL T-5

Offline Analogluvr

Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 06:33:41 AM
One thing to note is that Sophia tubes, while they sound good, are not reliable at all. 2 of my friends had pairs of the royal princesses and the one guy has blown 3 so far and the other has blown 1. I had a pair of mesh plates and blew one. I also had a pair of 845s and blew one.
I also have the 20k retail 845 monoblocks and went thru about 5 power transformers. At that point I switched to the Hammond equivalent and have had no problems since. I do love the sound of the amps but was less than impressed with this and their reactions when it was happening. They took zero responsibility and tried to blame the problem on everything and anything else. The Sophia power transformer was worth 400usd plus shipping and duties. It was comprised of the high voltage plate winding plus a low voltage filament winding. I separated the 2 when I bought the hammonds so I had to buy 4 transformers. All 4 ended up being about 250$ Canadian for what has obviously turned out to be a much better quality alternative.
At this point I wouldn't touch sophia tubes and would only buy their amps with the idea that I would have to do some mods.