Ordered the BeePre

jesionowski · 1093

Offline jesionowski

on: August 04, 2016, 07:44:35 AM
I took the Plunge , Ordered the Bee Pre.. now the Long Wait!  This should go well with my upgraded Eros!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 06:36:42 AM by jesionowski »

Offline jesionowski

Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 02:20:48 PM
Would you say this build is more difficult, equal or easier than a Eros build?

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 02:43:20 PM
There's more stuff to wire. But on the other hand the manual is much newer and the guys have very much refined the instructions over the years. So if you take your time and stick to the instructions, BeePre will probably go a little easier.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline physicsmajor

Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 08:50:01 PM
I built a Crack and a S.E.X. a few years back, and just now built the BeePre.

All of these have excellent manuals. However, I did note that the BeePre manual is very much "tighter" when it comes to length of wiring. If you tend to twine a wire twice when you attach it, you may feel short on the other end. In contrast, the Crack had generous lengths - which makes sense for an intro kit. There's less room for mistakes in the BeePre, but you should be fine if you make sure the lengths are not below spec. In a few cases I extended the length of a BeePre wire by up to 0.5".

Otherwise, it's quite similar. There is plenty of point-to-point wiring, but also a bit more through-hole. It doesn't feel any different in difficulty, though there may be more actual joints by the end. Having a larger plate helps; the S.E.X. felt crowded underneath once upgrades went in. In that respect the BeePre was actually easier.

If you want to have a great time doing the wiring, pick up a pair of surgical needle holders with tungsten carbide jaws as well as a pair of round-nosed pliers (jewelry pliers). You'll be glad you did!